building a garage, thought process just started.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of getting a garage built. As far as whenever im outside smoking and staring at the area where I want to build it, the old grey matter starts punching above its weight.

We have and end of terrace corner plot. And down the side of the house (which is already extended to the front ground and first floor) there is a small extension consisting of porch, shower and toilet, and brick shed. But the is still scope to go out to the boundary with a nice 1 and half width garage with workshop area.

I am thinking about keeping cost down and have come up with the following ideas.

Building a brick front to the garage, tying the bricks into the existing house structure. then using concrete blocks rendered down the side (which over look a railway line) and then brick along the back wall tying it into the back wall of the house. obiously a big door in the front and a small door at the back. Then topping it off with a flat roof (been looking at these rubber DIY flat roof things which seemed reasonable. I would also put a couple of roof domes into the shower and entrance hall as the windows will be into the garage (and brick them up)

So I have the idea in my head, but now i need to put some meat on the bones and need some info. Im not sure if the local planning office or building control will be willing to advise me either. But things like footing depths. Sizes and limitations of the roof and supporting timber, conrete base requirements, drainage requirements and so on.

Any ideas where I can seek advice. Of course the first place for advice is here.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
This is largely what's going to dictate what you can do & how you proceed;
This will dictate weather or not you need planning permission;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/
This should will tell you if you need Building Regs approval;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...kcommonoutbuildings/workmorebregsoutbuilding/

More specific details such as foundations & roof construction are largely a matter of local conditions & method of construction.

How close to the railway are you? They can be real pains when it comes to development of any nature within their boundary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back