building a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting a new double garage built,had a few quotes...most offer to build it in block work or a single wall(skin) of regular brick,one guy was horrified and said that a single wall construction would not support the weight of the roof which will be done in pre-formed joists and Marley tiles etc,this was due to the size of the garage (6mx5m), any thoughts or am I getting my chain yanked.
Guess whose quote was the highest?? ;)

Sponsored Links
As a draughtsman in a structural engineering practice i know that we as a company would recommend that the walls be built in at least a solid 215 thick wall a standard cavity wall construction. Either brick and block or 2 leafs of blockwork with the outside rendered.

You can build with 1 leaf of brick but you will need to provide piers every 2m or so...

Building regs will apply for the construction of a brick garage as it is not temporary ie demountable like a sectional concrete garage, so any construction method will need to approved by your local council Building Control who are unlikely to pass a single brick skin garage, especially of the size you are talking about.

If you are putting concrete roof tiles on the roof i would recommend a cavity wall which will keep the cold out and provide you with a flat uninterupted wall within the garage. The outer leaf of brick is mostly decorative but does add strength to the wall.

When I bought my house it came with planning for a detached garage, single block walls, just under 10m x 7m. BC had no problem with it being just a single skin. Personally I don't like the thought of a single skin on a building this size, so I built the inner skin of concrete blocks and built an outer skin of timber with some brickwork. In my area there are a lot of small barns, all clad in black stained feather-edge and I followed this by cladding on a framework of 4x2 timbers. By having a 3in cavity I was able to build the blockwork peirs in the cavity, keeping the inside walls flush. The block walls are more than capable of holding the trussed roof but the outer skin does add strength, keeps out the damp and is better to look at than block walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back