Building above a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an attached garage and would like to building above it to gain an extra bedroom and bathroom. The garage is single skin but has double skin pillars and regular intervals.

Would I be able to building straight onto the existing garage or would it need reenforcing or rebuilding?

Also do you have any idea of what an extension of this nature might cost. The Garage is 6m x 3.5m?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's single skin I'd knock it down and start again - You can't put a double skin above a single skin.

You might get away with using the existing foundations if they're adequate. Do you know how deep the current footings are ?

If it a fairly modern property then there is a chance the foundations will be suitable however, it is building control that you need to convince.

Unless there is written documentation confirming the foundation depth, concrete thickness etc, then you may have to dig a test hole to asses suitability.

There are several ways of building the uppermost floor and a designer/architect will be happy to take you dollar and come up with a suitable, financially viable solution.

Cost will depend upon a lot of factors, one of course being complexity of design. Access, location, roof type, quality of finish etc, will all affect cost.

Expect upwards of £20k.

The house was built in the late 50's if that helps.

So if the foundations are OK, will the brick work be OK, ie single skin with double skin pillars?

Sponsored Links
If it was built in the fifties then it is highly unlikely that the found's will be suitable unless it was built to a very high spec.

Sounds like a demolition job.

This can be a blessing. ;)

Other houses in the area that were built by the same building have had similar extensions, would it be a reasonable assumption that the foundations maybe OK? Or could they have re-enforced rather then rebuild (don't know if that's possible)?

They may be suitable or your neighbours may have had underpinning to the existing found's.

If i had a choice between underpinning or demolishing i would probably go for the latter.

It may be that your neighbours have dug a trench within the garage walls, laid a new foundation and built the inner skin off this new footing. this is a very common way to build a new skin within a garage.

As i said it is sometimes better to bite the bullet and demolish particularly if the garage brickwork is out of level for instance, then building on top can be a right bl**dy pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back