Building a Garden Room and connecting to existing Garage supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if the following would be possible. To be clear, this is not something I plan to attempt myself and would certainly get a local trades person in but i was hoping you guys can give me some advice to help with the planning.

I have a property built in 2013 and am wanting to build a garden room that would adjoin an existing brick built garage. Essentially, the garden room would become an extension of the existing building. The garage has a pre-installed supply with a small consumer unit within the garage itself. The garage has lighting and 2 x double 13 amp sockets.

In terms of providing power to the garden building, would the electricity be able to be fed from this garage feed or would it need to feed right back into the house consumer unit? If it makes any difference I'd be looking to install around 6/8 LED downlights and have another 2/3 sockets within the building itself.

To keep the building work flowing, would a contractor typically have any problem with me installing the wiring runs as I need them to go so I can continue with insulation fitting or would that typically be discouraged?

Finally, and I know this is really only a rough guide, but what should I expect to budget for such works from a professional?

All help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you have the skill there is nothing to stop DIY electrics, however if building control is involved you may need to show them you have the skill. When my mothers wet room was done, they wanted me to have an EICR at my expense done by some one they selected to show my work was up to scratch, I did get them to accept my signature, but at £100 for an EICR what you gain doing DIY you lose getting it tested.

I was rather surprised to need planning permission to change a pantry and toilet to a wet room, but seems it is required, I had left it all to the builder, and it was not until he ran off and I took over the job did I find out the builder had not done any of the required council building control stuff. So you may be able to DIY but not sure if that will save any cost.

Having seen garages wired in new builds it is often designed to power odd drill, battery charger and lights only, seen a 2.5 mm twin and earth feed a 4 mm SWA to the garage, so maximum power was 20 amp, although looking in the garage CU it seemed OK for 32 amp. But 2013 should mean an installation certificate which will likely tell you what the supply is.

Lighting is no problem, it is where you want to heat the problems start, but you should have all the documents so just needs some reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back