Building a low wall in blockwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a low wall (about 1m) in our front garden between us and our neighbour, which is in dire need of repair. It's a single skin of what looks like block pavers (!) butted up to the house and joined with a line of mortar. I'm planning to replace it with rendered blockwork, but it's the first time I've done anything like this so had a few questions:

1. The new wall will be 660mm H to match the front of the house. I'm planning to use 440 x 215 x 100 blocks. Can I get away with a single skin on the short side (A), or would I be better off with a double skin tied together with alternate rows of blocks laid flat (B)?
2. Do I need to tie the wall to the front of the house, or can it be freestanding with an expansion joint (e.g. something like this)? AFAIK there's no DPM on the existing wall so keen to separate the wall from the house (it's Victorian, brick-built) to avoid anything that might cause damp issues.
3. How do I calculate the proper depth for the footings?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 10.25.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 10.25.02.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
We have a low wall (about 1m) in our front garden between us and our neighbour, which is in dire need of repair. It's a single skin of what looks like block pavers (!) butted up to the house and joined with a line of mortar. I'm planning to replace it with rendered blockwork, but it's the first time I've done anything like this so had a few questions:

1. The new wall will be 660mm H to match the front of the house. I'm planning to use 440 x 215 x 100 blocks. Can I get away with a single skin on the short side (A), or would I be better off with a double skin tied together with alternate rows of blocks laid flat (B)?
2. Do I need to tie the wall to the front of the house, or can it be freestanding with an expansion joint (e.g. something like this)? AFAIK there's no DPM on the existing wall so keen to separate the wall from the house (it's Victorian, brick-built) to avoid anything that might cause damp issues.
3. How do I calculate the proper depth for the footings?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes - single skin.

Wall starters against both abutting walls ok.

I'd show bricks on the first course rather than blocks, then keep the render off the ground by 150mm .

How do you intend finishing the wall top? Are you rendering it?

Thanks @noseall, that's really helpful.

Yes, I'd intended to render the top of the wall to match, although I have found some flat coping stones that could work – other half wants a bit more of a modern finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @noseall, that's really helpful.

Yes, I'd intended to render the top of the wall to match, although I have found some flat coping stones that could work – other half wants a bit more of a modern finish.
Don't forget that if you intend using copings they'll need to be wide enough for the render and so the render doesn't interfere with the coping drips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back