Building a plug in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently moved into a new room im renting, and the only plug point in the entire room is in a very inconvenient location. I want to build a 9 meter plug in extension for use with my 2500w induction cooker, but im unsure as to what thickness of wire i should use. is a 3 core .75mm wire enough

wondering if it would be advisable to get a 1.5mm one instead. Also are there any other safety issues i should be thinking about?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This should be in the Electrics Outside of the UK forum.

I'm not qualified but a quick google shows that in Singapore you have 230V mains, based on 2500W your oven would be almost 11Amps. A .75mm cable can handle 10 Amps so you definatly should NOT use .75 cable. 1mm Cable seems to be able to handle 14 Amps so that would be better, however I'm sure there are far more considerations to be taken into account like voltage drop (9m is a long extension!), particularly if you were in the UK and like I said, I'm not qualified.

the electricity supply in singapore is the same as the UK, which is why i thought it would be appropriate to post here. would the resistance in a 9m cable be any issue?

thanks

I would suggest that for a 9m (almost 30ft) run at 2.5kW a MINIMUM of 1.25mm cable would be required, if not 1.5mm. Also, is the cable to be clipped direct to the wall or skirting, or put in trunking? This can (will) affect its current-carrying capacity. What type of plug socket do you have? Is it our UK-style 13A, or the European style 16A?

Sponsored Links
You should be using 2.5mm² otherwise you are going to run into volt drop problems. That could mean that your hob would not function properly.

Dont forget that 2500W is about the same as a UK immersion heater, and we usually use 2.5mm² cable for that if the cable length is more than a metre or two.

Like I said the electrical systems here are exactly the same as the uk, so for the usual wall socket it's 13A. Because I'm renting this room, I don't want and can't do anything that will damage the wall or paint etc. so my plan is to just plug the plug on the extension into the wall socket, and run the wire behind my furniture to keep it out of the way to 'relocate' the plug point. Most of the time the socket will be just charging my laptop and phone, but I also need it to run my induction cooker which is the most powerful appliance that will be used on this extension

So if I use 2.5mm wiring I should be alright?

I don't want the roll up type and most of the. Use such thin cables. The last time I used one of those it fried itself pretty quickly

Can't remember, after that I used a 1.5mm 2 meter belkin extension which is great. This was in my old place where I didn't need such a long extension.

So I know 1.5 is definitely sufficient, but for 9 meters I'm not so sure abut voltage drop etc. can anyone confirm if 2.5mm as suggested would be ok?

Thanks

Can you fit 2.5mm² into your plugs and sockets?
Almost all plugs sockets will take 2.5mm² if a little more fiddly and thats what I would do. Otherwise I would jsut buy a non-roll up 10mm 1.5mm² cable and use that.

Last time I was in rented accomdation we had a garage at the end of the drive and I made up a 50m extension using 2.5 artic, with a 13amp plug on one end and a 4way flying socket on the other end.

Daniel

In the end I bought a 2.5mm cable with permaplug single gang and plug. The hole on the permaplug snugly fits the 2.5mm cable thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back