Building a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, well this is my 1st major construction project outside, so will probably need all the help i can get.

Basically i have a driveway that runs alongside my house, which is too narrow to park a car in it and easily get in/out, so at the moment, it is affectively wasted space.

I dont have much storage space outside, so this will make an ideal location to put a large shed come workshop. It should make the garden more secure as well. The space I can use without covering any windows measures 5.8 x 2.5 metres, so a decent size, and equals 14.5 square metres.

As I doubt if i could buy a shed that maximises this space, and has windows in the right place, I thought I would attempt to do a custom build.

My 1st thought was a lean-to build, using the side of the house as one side, however after spending hours on the planning portal, I dont think I can do this. Basically if I have interpreted it correctly, either a lean to, or a detached structure of this size is OK under permitted development, but a lean to is classed as an extension, which requires building regs. Not sure which building regs apply, but i presume it will cost me more than the extra in making a detached shed.

I am also after a transparent roof as the two long sides will not have any windows, due to the house wall on one side and the boundary fence on the other.

So any comments about the general idea, and also, more specifically, two sides are not going to be accessible on the outside, so is there a suitable treatment available so that it does not require maintenance?

Sponsored Links
Hi. I agree, I think a lean to would be easier and would solve a few problems.

Planning isnt a problem, both a lean to, or an outbuilding is classed as permitted development (within reason) The issue is building regs. A lean to is classed as an extension and has to comply with the regs, an outbuilding doesnt

I'll probably give the building controls dept a call tomorrow to see exactly what regs it needs to comply with.

Sponsored Links
Well having spoken to building control.... They dont really care as its under 15m2, so have basically just said inform your neighbours and build it. So lean to it is :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back