Building a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I am currently planning my lean-to shed in the driveway space between the house and the boundary fence. It will measure about 14sq metres and will be used for storage and as a workshop. I was going to use 2x4s for the main frame and use metpost bolt downs to secure the structure to the ground.

Due to the lack of window space (side of house, boundary fence and front side I was going to keep windowless due to security) I was going to use some transparent corrugated sheeting for the roof to allow some light in.

The driveway is currently concreted, and I was thinking of not building a floor, mainly for simplicity and keeping costs down. Also it would make it easier for wheeling bikes/toolchests in and out.

Due to the fact that the roof is a thin sheet of plastic, I didn’t think there was much point in insulating the shed. I will accept that it will be very cold in the winter.

I would also want electrics, though this will probably come at a later date.

At the moment, my main questions are
General thoughts of the proposed design? Is there anything that I am doing wrong? (probably!)

Am I asking for damp problems due to the lack of a floor? I was hoping that with a bit of an airgap at the bottom, there should be enough airflow to keep it dry.

As I wont be able to access the side which is on the boundary, what material should I use for this side?

Thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
a plastic roof will cause condensation what is the span wall to fence and how do you plan to get rid off the rain water ??

Hi Big-all

The wall to fence span is 2.5metres. For rain water, I was going to put in a guttering and downpipe.

As for the roof, I really think it will be too dark without a transparent roof. Do you have any ideas for an alternative roof material?

Sponsored Links
I agree with the previous posts. We "inherited" a shed with a plastic roof and it was terrible for condensation.

you will reduce the risk off condensation with double or triple polycarbonate but this will cost about £200 plus a simmilar amount for all the other materials assuming no floor plus the ends so 5 to£ 600 total

i assume you are stopping short off the fence ??

Hmm ok I'll rethink my roof then. Wondering if maybe i could get hold of some old double glazing units and make some skylights? Otherwise electrics become more of a priority to get some light in there.

I intend to go as close to the fence as i can, probably just enough space to install suitable guttering.

Cost wise, I was expecting to spend at least that.

I've got a similiar project in mind for somewhere to store the bikes. My workshop is covered externally in coroline sheeting and I shall probably build the bike store with it too.
http://www.fascias.com/contents/en-uk/d117_Vistalux_and_Coroline_Corrugated_Sheets.html

I've used the green sheeting so as not to make the workshop too obvious but note from the site above that they make translucent sheets aswell. Maybe this could be an option?

Hi guys, thanks for your advice.

Ladylola, those tripled walled sheets look ideal. And looking into it, I dont think they will be any more than 18mm ply + felt, so will probably go with them.

Hi guys.
Right im getting an idea as to how this is going to go. Just need opinions on the side that is going to go against the fence. Due to the proximity to the fence (inches) It wont be maintainable from the outside, so options i have come up with are.

1. Pressure treated shiplap, assembled onto frame before being moved into place. Will be impossible to treat the outside once its in place.

2. Upvc, shiplap, again assembled onto frame before moving into position. Again impossible to get to, but hoping it will be maintenance free.

3. Wooden shiplap but on the inside of the shed. This would leave the posts exposed, but would mean that it can be easily assembled from the inside and parts could be removed for maintenance.

Anyone got any comments on the above ideas and which one is best. Also for pressure treated shiplap, how long would you expect it to last?

Many thanks

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back