Building a shelf for van and scribing it into van side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to build a shelf for van and as the sides of van bow inwards; I was going to scribe the sides into the walls.

To do this, do you hold a pencil on the end of a bit of wood to follow the profile of the sides onto the wood (as in picture)?
20200408_190902.jpg
20200408_190748.jpg
20200408_190658.jpg
20200408_190710.jpg
20200408_190801.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No problem with that, but if you need to use self tappers at any time, do check the length!
John :)

Lol. I mean dont drill through van side

Out of interest, can you take those self tappers out and put them back without losing their strength?

How do you scribe by the way?

Jigsaw with a blade which will cut medium to tight curves, e.g. Bosch T244D. Turn the orbit off

Jigsaw with a blade which will cut medium to tight curves, e.g. Bosch T244D. Turn the orbit off

That's just the cutting isn't it? How do you mark the scribe mark? Pencil on end of wood?

Self tapping screws are purposely sharp and hard so they cut their own thread through thin steel.....they can be used over again.
Regarding the scribe, I’ve been known to drill a pencil sized hole in a piece of timber to make the job easier.

Self tapping screws are purposely sharp and hard so they cut their own thread through thin steel.....they can be used over again.
Regarding the scribe, I’ve been known to drill a pencil sized hole in a piece of timber to make the job easier.
U mean putting the self tappers into and out of the same holes is ok? When I put some hooks into my van's ply I had to take them out and put back in same holes.

Good link to scribing I found-

Last edited:
That's just the cutting isn't it? How do you mark the scribe mark? Pencil on end of wood?
Dividers with a pencil (or a school pencil compass), pencil and steel washer, pencil and small block of wood, etc. In your case it might be better to make up a cardboard or hardboard template which can be quickly and easily altered to fit the curve if the side then transfer that to the plywood when you are happy with the fit

I tried the compass (set at 90 degrees) and bit of baton with pencil jammed into the hole. I used the baton (bottom photo) as couldn't get comfortable with compass. A bit shaky.
20200412_163444.jpg
20200412_160535.jpg
20200412_161628.jpg

You arent using the compass right at all. Try folding the legs of the compasses in so that the gap between the point of the pencil and the point on the other leg is about 1in (25mm). You then have to keep the whole thing level whilst you mark the scribe cut. It takes practice

Dividers with a pencil (or a school pencil compass), pencil and steel washer, pencil and small block of wood, etc. In your case it might be better to make up a cardboard or hardboard template which can be quickly and easily altered to fit the curve if the side then transfer that to the plywood when you are happy with the fit
You arent using the compass right at all. Try folding the legs of the compasses in so that the gap between the point of the pencil and the point on the other leg is about 1in (25mm). You then have to keep the whole thing level whilst you mark the scribe cut. It takes practice
You must have the patience of a saint.:)

When I did the shelves for my transporter I kept the two lower shelves flat with a 60mm front upstand and the upper two tipped back at about 20 degrees and no upstand.

When you do a scribe line the priority is waste as little as possible.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back