Scribing in wood to sloping van wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put a shelf on the wheel arch of my van. The walls cave inwards towards top. How do u scribe wood to that?
20170527_130058.jpg

Sponsored Links
Isn't it just the same as a worktop- although 90° difference?

A chunk of 2x2 set vertical to a reference point and a pencil/scribe with spacer?

Use a bit of ply first as it's easy to jigsaw

If you are lucky, one profile will fit along the van.
Worst case, each one willl be unique

Sponsored Links
You start off with the ply cut wider than you need. Did a rough cut by eye when I shelved above both arches of my van then just used a small scribing block to get an accurate line.
Before fitting that piece I tried it for fit at the other locations and used it as a template where possible.

A pencil sized hole drilled in a small block of wood makes a scriber.
Then a jig saw and small block plane to finish off.
I placed some the shelves at a 25 degree angle which I have found works well.

Last edited:
you could use some cardboard or correx, as a template, as its easier to cut/recut. But if your confident, the methods stated above will do it.

You start off with the ply cut wider than you need. Did a rough cut by eye when I shelved above both arches of my van then just used a small scribing block to get an accurate line.
Before fitting that piece I tried it for fit at the other locations and used it as a template where possible.

A pencil sized hole drilled in a small block of wood makes a scriber.
Then a jig saw and small block plane to finish off.
I placed some the shelves at a 25 degree angle which I have found works well.

What's a scribing block exactly?

A bit of wood with a hole drilled in one end

In this case maybe 2x1 with a point cut on one end centrally and a pencil hole centrally on the other
It follows the profile of the side of the van so long as you keep it horizontal and draws a line onto the wood

Excuse my very crude drawing but this is how I'd do it.

First off cut your end panel from some ply, height and width is your choice, offer it up against your vans internal lining, obviously it will touch in the top corner first as shown, measure the gap at the bottom as shown by the arrow, I don't know what you'd call it but make a marking tool out of some scrap 2x1 or anything really, cut a point on the end and transfer your measurement along it and either drill a hole and poke a felt tip or pencil through or even drive a nail through, now with this tool you can scribe an exact line from the van lining to the end panel by moving the tool up and down, the point follows the van lining while the pencil marks the end panel

Screenshot_20170605-162653.png

Excuse my very crude drawing but this is how I'd do it.

First off cut your end panel from some ply, height and width is your choice, offer it up against your vans internal lining, obviously it will touch in the top corner first as shown, measure the gap at the bottom as shown by the arrow, I don't know what you'd call it but make a marking tool out of some scrap 2x1 or anything really, cut a point on the end and transfer your measurement along it and either drill a hole and poke a felt tip or pencil through or even drive a nail through, now with this tool you can scribe an exact line from the van lining to the end panel by moving the tool up and down, the point follows the van lining while the pencil marks the end panel

View attachment 120439

Got it. I guess you got to keep the wood level so the line is bang on with a mini spirit level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back