Scribe or filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen.

I have one tall (206cm) unit that is 50mm from the wall at the top when the bottom is touching.

From looking around these forums it seems that the usual thing to do would be to scribe the unit so that it fit flush to the wall. (Note that it is chipboard, not solid wood.)

I asked a joiner friend of mine over the phone, and he said that he'd use a filler. (A piece of filler wood that is.)

So, what would you recommend? Scribe or fill (or a bit of both)?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do, resist the temptation to install the cupboard out of plumb.....personally I'd use a filler piece (as narrow as possible) rather than cutting the cupboard to the wall contour.
Fix a batten to the wall at the top of the cupboard for a good fixing.
John :)

The biggest problem you have , is that the unit has probably got to line up with base units at worktop height. I had this problem once on an extension and managed to scribe the unit to the wall, but had to scribe all of the other base units so they sat back, so everything was in line. Only other suggestion I can think of is some sort of infill panel or a corner piece to cloak off the join at the wall.
PS the problem I had was exactly the opposite to yours. When the tall unit was touching the wall at the top, there was a 35mm gap at the bottom ( and it was the end of a run of units).

Sponsored Links
another thought,
could you not let the unit into the wall a bit by chipping out some of the plaster?
so it becomes plumb?obviously if it then sets the unit to far back compared to the other units then its a no brainer,filler it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back