Scribing quadrant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I need to install some 12mm quarant/quarter round in a small room with wooden floor. I have looked and it seems best practice is to scribe internal joints and mitre external ones. All mine are internal, so scribing it is!

I haven't scribed before but I'm up for giving it a go. I tried to watch some Youtube videos but the guy seemed to have an opposing piece of wood (so an 'inverse' quarter round if you get me) to get himself a radius. This isn't a luxury I have...

So I cut a standard 45 degree as if I was going to mitre...
Then I need to get the profile of the installed quadrant - I tried just 'free hand sketching it' by eye, but it wasn't very successful.

Any other tips? - can I use a compass somehow?! Could I use a flexi curve from a technical drawing kit? Do you just do it by eye?!

I'm doing this with a spare bit now - as it's extremely unlikely to work first time, of course!

Tips - or links to good videos welcome!

On and when I get to the door - how would you finish it?- straight 90 degree cut? or try to 'round it off' so to speak?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
12mm is a little on the small side for edging flooring 18mm+ would be better, which is why you are struggling to scribe. If you use the 12 then just mitre.At door frame 12mm should be small enough to butt join architrave.​

I didn't want it to actually be much of a 'feature' tbh - I just wanted something to cover a gap under the window - so the smallest I could get away with - plus it's a very small room - I brought a selection of short lengths and the 16 or 18 mm were a bit big for the dinky room.

Problem at the moment that I've practically fitted one piece under the window flush at both ends (bending in quite a horrible way to get round the radiator :eek:)

Sponsored Links
The video looks like 25mm , you can use a drill with sander bit but to push on the back of the quad to make a nice scribe rather than cutting.

For something that small i wouldnt bother scribing, us pvc fitters use gasket shears or snips like these, easily cut through 19mm quad

Well I sorted it... Using a dremmel of all things. Just trial and error in the garden with a spare bit of quadrant nailed to an old bit of floorboard.

Unconventional but seems to have worked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back