Scribing to both wall and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2400mm fridge end panel to scribe. It is oversized on both the horizontal and vertical.

How do I scribe both? If I do the floor first then the scribe will be wrong when I do the wall and the panel moves backwards and vice versa.

I can't get my head around it.

Any advice much appreciated, got a day to finish kitchen off.

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Use an oversize piece of thin plywood or MDF (4 to 6mm thick) and mark the scribes on that for both the bottom and the back wall using a large (penny) washer and a pencil (or better still a proper scribing tool). Mark the front and top edges of the units while you are at it. Trim carefully to the line with a jigsaw and fine blade (zero orbit). Offer the template up to the decor panel on the back side and align to themarks for the top and front. Clampin place (3 to 4 clamps). Use your washer and pencil or scribing tool to mark the actual position of the floor and wall onto the back side of the decor panel. Make any adjustments (these will be necessary to overcome where sharp edges are turned unto curves by the templating process. Cut to the scribing line from the back side of the panel (this will help prevent break-out) using a new blade, zero orbit on the jigsaw. Make any final adjustments using a block plane, files, sandpaper on sanding sticks, etc to get a better fit. I do a similar process when having to make and install architaves, etc on shaped head door and window frames

20161201_222502.jpg
Cheers, I already went ahead with it though. I just done the bottom first and it came out okay, a couple mm high which I could sort with a plane if I had one.

Glad to get the fridge out of the way to give me some workspace. I'll go back to it and sort it if I have time before the chippy comes to do the worktop, otherwise it'll just bother me forever more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back