Building a sheltered barbeque outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am no builder, but am trying to write up a plan what my bbq outside in garden must look like. Abroad families have great built bbqs with halfmoon walls around for wind shelter and built-in seats. Why cant I find any examples in the UK?
Is there anybody out there that has some good experience in building brick walled bbqs? Maybe somebody from abroad settled here now.
Do I need planning permission before I start building myself? And is there any websites which I can visit to get details on how to go about. There must be a good reason why nobody has built barbeques in the UK.
Please help, I need to build one before July. :confused:

Sponsored Links
imagine an inglenook fireplace and theres your basic design for non flammible [brick block and render]

and if it contains flammable material
all these measurements are just my thoughts to allow for the worst scenario getting out of hand but the head hight i think is essential especially if the top is flammable material and assuming a proper family sized barbecue

you will need a chimney unless you can leave 2 sides open for air flow with appproximatly 4ft above the cooking surface incase of flair up i would also think at least 18" around the sides and back of the barbecue if its wood treated with non flammable finnish

if your using plastic sheet i would consider an extra 6"around the sides and an extra foot overhead

Would I be needing planning permission to build a bbq with a chimney?
The concrete foundation would be in the area of 4m x 4.5meters. Wall height from 120cm to 180 cm at bbq end.

miets said:
There must be a good reason why nobody has built barbeques in the UK.
Please help, I need to build one before July. :confused:

Maybe the weather we have here has something to do with it!

You won't need PP as long as you don’t go over 2m high. I have an open, BBQ brick built with a 1m x 0.8m SS grill with 3 height settings , a 3mm thick home made steel ash pan & storage either side & underneath. There is a timber fence immediately behind it & although it’s black, it hasn’t caught fire in the 15 years the BBQ’s been in use. When it’s a bit chilly I put the Gazebo up (the cook is usually OK!) & when it rains I hook a tarp on 2 nails banged into the top of the fence & tie the other end to 2 trees, again it’s never caught fire in the 15 years I’ve been using it, it is a bit black though! It’s hardly elegant but we enjoy eating outside even in winter (I once did a one in the snow!) but it does the job when the weather is not really conducive to BBQ’s!

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,
It sounds like I have the same idea on my plan. Instead of 1m accross x 80cm to the front grill area, mine is 90cm to front which might be a bit too far out. I shall change my plan accordingly.
I assume you made the grill yourself, and the slots are built into the brick sides?
The bricks you used, are they special ones, or did you paint them over: please give me an idea of where to get them then if you dont mind.
I am glad you said I dont need PP, as my highest of wall would only be 1.4m high on either sides of my chimney breast. In total the concreted floor area would be 3.2 x 4m 'walled' in with a fancy gate to keep kiddy out.

I made my own BBQ & fittings as I was fed up with the commercially made ones; they are too flimsy & fit for junk after just a couple of years. I bought my SS grill from a camping supplier about 18 years ago, it’s very well made & robust but I have no idea if they are still available. We have actually now moved house but I brought the SS grill with me for use when I finally build my new BBQ as I was unsure if I would be able to find another one as good.

I used ordinary antique facing bricks, unpainted, for both the enclosure, fire box (where the ash pan goes) & cooking area surround & had no problems with heat damage. The bricks forming the ash pan support were laid frog down onto a 5mm, galvanised steel plate for support & to bridge the wall at the back & either side, I made some timber doors to fit on the front to create a storage area for all the BBQ paraphernalia; overhead light switch was in there as well. The grill supports were made using ½ bricks at sides & back, turned upside down through 90 degrees, sticking out about 40mm. I had 3 height settings but to get equal spacing (about 100mm between each setting), I trimmed the middle & highest bricks to size using an angle grinder & stone disk. The 3mm thick ash pan I made from bending a 30mm return around the edges of a suitable sized steel sheet & welding up the corners; the ones you buy are too flimsy, go out of shape & only last about 1 year, mine lasted about 5 years each! If you cant do this yourself, your local engineering workshop will probable do it for you on their bender for a pint & welding the corners is not essential. I initially had a steel mesh ash pan grill (the bit you put the charcoal on) but after it disintegrated, didn’t bother replacing it as I found it wasn’t really necessary.

Hi
Do you need to build foundations?? I already have my outside concreted over. Thanks

If it's decent & been laid properly, building onto the concrete should be OK as long as BBQ isn't too elaborate (& heavy). I dug out & laid a 4 inch concrete base at the edge of a patio & built on top of that.

the "lamplig" pot stand trivet from ikea makes a great grill.. ( the second the left on the top row.. )

it's stainless bars about 8mm in diameter spaced about 20mm apart..

2 or 3 of these as the grill section of the BBQ work great..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back