Material question for building a garage?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may be foolish but I want to have a go at building a garage myself and unsure about which type of construction to use

Currently in place is a detached timber item that is solid but leaky draughty and has no solid concrete floor just old paving slabs and rubble from where the old outside toilet used to be

Obviously the first thing to do is get a load of mates round and Kung foo its ass and Knock it down and then put a concrete base down using the mesh stuff and putting in decent foundations for the wall, but then, this is the bit, what do i build it out of??????????

I looked at some old 70's mags on how to build garages (obviously things have evolved somewhat) but what type of brick/block do I use???

I had thought a couple of coarses of engineering bricks a Weather bead?? and then 100mm concrete block things and render it??

Would this make sense, I'm far from minted hence why I want to have a go, so cash is an important factor in this build

I want the garage is to be in big enough for a family car size plus a bench etc..

Any advice on materials and techniques etc would be greatly received,

P.S. I got one of those Brickies mate things to help me build was I done???

P.P.S I built a barbeque once........... it fell over.

Sponsored Links
adrok
1st thing to do is find out if you need building regs for a brick build ?

then find out if the existing roof material is asbestos , or else you an grasshopper may die horribly ...?

then Plan an design ....then show plans to brickie mate after he has stopped laughing tell him you will do all the donkey work if he will build it for you ,

DONT attempt it yourself ...
it WILL fall down an you will be the laughing stock of the street ...:)

you need him to give you advice on footings an the concrete slab as well...
a concrete block walled garage will be ok

btw those 70s mags will make you go blind ..lol :)
hope this helps :)

Thanks for the advice moz, things are always more involved than you first think!

luckily the roof is polcarbonate sheet so no premature deaths from asbestos, only the risk of getting splinters.

Thanks again for the advice Ive just gotta find a friendly Bricky!

P.S. I dont like the thought of being the laughing stock of the street the title belongs to my neighbour because she looks like Ronnie Corbit! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
adrok
your bricky mate
dont forget to pay him a few bob ..+ beer an food
as he has been at it on the tools all week an then at weekend for you ..he will soon grow tired of your friendship ,trust me ..;)

btw what ever brickie mate advises do ...regarding build ..if he says it needs this or that do it , dont argue or cut corners ....

btw does the comedian neighbour do parties ..lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back