building above garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i own a semi with a single garage on the side but the external wall is only single brick what would have to be done to build a cavity wall above and whaT WOULD THE AUTHORITIES expect to be done and how much would i expect a builder to charge me any help would be appreiated
thanks chris

Sponsored Links
sometimes it is just as cost effective to demolish the garage and start from scratch. if you dig a pilot hole down the side of your garage foundations and expose the concrete, b.c. will tell you if the footings are adequate or not. if they are adequate, then it may be o.k. to use r.s.j's and pillars with lots of internal concrete foundations!

if you were to build an internal leaf of blokcwork right from the ground floor upwards, to create a cavity wall, then an internal concrete foundation would be necessary to carry it. similarly if you were to do away with walls at ground level and just use horizontal steel beams to carry the cavity wall above, these r.s.j's would probably need supporting pillars of masonry, built off pretty hefty foundations.

Sponsored Links
Depends what foundations are in the garage now. If its a standard slab construction then you probably wont need any additional footings. Do a trial hole next to the existing footings of the garage to determine width and depth and type of footing (ie strip or raft).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back