building block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to build a wall in the living room to extend the door into the hall. I don't want to build a stud I want to build it out of block. Can I just remove the 2-3 inch of screed and the small sheet of polystyrene and then lay the new block work directly on top of the sub floor? I was wondering if any wall needs a foundation underneath other than the sub floor. If not it will have to be a stud wall.

Sponsored Links
Doing it as you describe is not a problem. Its more to do with how you connect robustly to the existing wall, how it will be restrained at the top and how much you are actually adding, that will determine how successful you are. Bridging the joint with a large span of dabbed plasterboard will also serve to stiffen up the connection.

Thanks noseall,

I will be webbing it into the existing wall and also over the door and in to the adjacent wall with a small lintel. It will only be going as high as the first floor...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back