Building control and existing foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you're wanting to swap out your flat roof for a pitched roof and change the windows's doors on your existing lean-to. Obviously you are increasing the volume. Therefore you need planning permission and building regs to be involved.

I'm wondering if this counts as a new build and the building regs will want you to redo all the foundations even though you leaving the existing walls in place.

The lean-to with solid double brick side and front walls have been in place for over 25 years. One of the walls is shared with the neighbour for his lean-to. The foundation is pretty deep as far as I can tell but probably not deep enough for currently new builds.

Sponsored Links
This is open to interpretation, but it is generally looked at in terms of percentage increase in loading to the foundation and/or a significant change in loading pattern; coupled with there being any evidence of movement to the structure due to foundation problems, before any work is undertaken.

Left to their own devices, a BCO in some instances may well want you to underpin/replace/otherwise strengthen the foundations, whereas a structural engineer will often give it the ok.

With your particular situation, although a pitched roof is heavier than a flat one, it is not by a percentage that would warrant any remedial strengthening of the existing foundations, so I would not expect the BCO to want you to do anything.

Unless its bcsurveyor... ;)

Contrary to popular belief most Building Inspectors are reasonable people and are there to help!!
A little bit more information about the foundations would be useful.. however a 9" solid brickwall on 450mm deep foundations is adequate for 3 storeys (unless bad ground) so aside from upgrading the insulation and roof ventilation to modern standards Building Regs would be relatively straight forward- the hardest thing would be parting with the cash for the application :mad:

Sponsored Links
What's in a word...?! He is, apparently, a BCO - with a First in some building ology. He is also a first class ****t. But that's just my opinion. Mikric on the other hand, is an extremely sensible BCO and we like him, even though he lives in the flatlands of Lincolnshire :).

a warm welcome to the club to you and may you too fall into the latter category ;) :LOL:

The latter category definately! I recently got out before "I became one of them". I hope I can help out on this forum with some practical solutions to keep the BCS at bay!

Hey Shy I was at LABC awards last night, over 200 BCOs in one room, you would have loved it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Welcome Mr Inspector :cool:

Jees, what a thought!

What were the awards: Tw@t of the Year? Mega-Tw@t of the Year? And did bcsurveyor win them all?!

Nah ! but I bet there were loads there like Mr Surveyor. At least I got to have a chat and a couple of kisses from the gorgeous Tv weather girl Emma Jesson :D

The after-award dinner was a nightmare. :eek:

One BCO wanted red wine with his fish.

Another said it just would not go.
Another said he would have to refer back to the office to clarify.
Another one produced a set of tables to check
Someone else suggested that it may be acceptable but wanted some calculations proving the effect on the palette
One guy refused point-blank say he had never had such a request in over 20 years
A newly qualified guy ranted that it was not in the menu so was not allowed
One BCO got punched and another threatened
Another accepted £50 to allow it
One suggested "off the record" to just have the wine.

Then the waitress (who the BCO's said was not really qualified to comment on wine selection) just poured the wine

The red wine went well with the fish
:rolleyes:

The after-award dinner was a nightmare. :eek:

One BCO wanted red wine with his fish.

Another said it just would not go.
Another said he would have to refer back to the office to clarify.
Another one produced a set of tables to check
Someone else suggested that it may be acceptable but wanted some calculations proving the effect on the palette
One guy refused point-blank say he had never had such a request in over 20 years
A newly qualified guy ranted that it was not in the menu so was not allowed
One BCO got punched and another threatened
Another accepted £50 to allow it
One suggested "off the record" to just have the wine.

Then the waitress (who the BCO's said was not really qualified to comment on wine selection) just poured the wine

The red wine went well with the fish
:rolleyes:
Mutley_laughing.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back