Building Control Inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on fitting my own windows soon, and will have to get the local BC office to inspect my work.

If the spot something is wrong and have to re-visit, would i be charged again? Is there a limit as to the number of times the inspector will visit until the work is completed satisfactory?

Ben

Sponsored Links
Best advice would be to gen up on all the requirements with building control before you start, could prove costly if you make a big mistake and contravene fire regs etc things like this need to be checked before allowing the windows to be manufactured if you see what I mean, also worth looking into trickle vents issues, have a word with BC they are there to help and advise as well as enforce.

Hi Bengee

Yes you do need to notify BC of any changes to windows as you will need building regs, its a flat fee and they will come out to inspect as many times as required, you will also be able to contact your BCO whenever you need help as well.

You should read the associated building regs, parts N, F, & L1B, these can be downloaded free from the Planning Portal;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000000988.html

Providing the work your doing is not subject to change of use, your not extending or adding a loft conversion, there is no requirement to comply with fire regulations (escapes etc) or fit trickle ventilation; it’s a popular misconception & also helps the DG companies inflate their prices for stuff you have no obligation to provide; although both may be a good idea! The only requirement is that you do not make things any worse than they were before!

Think carefully before going DIY on windows if you’ve not done it before &/or are inexperienced at building/DIY. If you make a mistake measuring up, break one, or get the installation wrong it’s down to you; you won’t get a 10 year warranty & then there’s the BC inspection fee to add & any possible hassle with the BI if they don’t like what you’ve done! A Local FENSA registered company will normally charge £50 - £60 per window to fit, you won’t have all the hassle fitting them & they may actually work out the same overall price or even less expensive on comparable quality units as they will be able to get them much cheaper than you!

Sponsored Links
If the spot something is wrong and have to re-visit, would i be charged again?

What could you possibly get wrong when fitting windows?

The things which the BCO is interested in are dealt with when you order the frames/units ..... thermally compliant glass and frames, safety glass where required, escape windows/hinges where required, trickle vents.

When fitting .... 3 fixings per side and silicone sealed to the external opening.

Do not forget to use copious amounts of foam filler and if you feel upto it maybe 1 or 2 frame fixers, well that is how many of the so called Fensa experts do it lol.
Pete

Ask the people you get the windows from that you want windows compliant to current building regs. ie anything below a metre i think and doors need to be toughened glass. Openers for fire escape etc are required amd pilkington k glass or similar thermally efficient glass.

A Local FENSA registered company will normally charge £50 - £60 per window to fit

I think i need to move area then! I costed up to fit DIY windows and doors as £3200 (this included the delivery) from u-fit.co.uk. btw... i required 11 windows and 2 doors (front and back).

I got a quote from a local company to supply and fit, which was £6000 :eek:

A Local FENSA registered company will normally charge £50 - £60 per window to fit

I think i need to move area then! I costed up to fit DIY windows and doors as £3200 (this included the delivery) from u-fit.co.uk. btw... i required 11 windows and 2 doors (front and back).

I got a quote from a local company to supply and fit, which was £6000 :eek:
Always get as many detailed & itemised quotes as you can, let them know they are in a competitive situation, make them aware you have done your homework & are not the average cash cow punter! Some get all edgy & won’t play ball so just cross them off the list, there are plenty of others! I looked at U fit but there was no way I could see the product short of going to the factory; they weren’t interested. Other DIY products I looked at were of dubious quality! The prices I was quoted to buy in quality branded stuff was way above what the local installation companies had quoted so I decided DIY wasn’t worth the hassle + the Rahau units on offer were (& still are) are one of the market leaders.

My job consisted of 9 windows (60’s house so some are quiet large) & 1 standard door at a cost of £2863; 2 sets of large French doors came to £1500 & a separate porch consisting of door, adjacent windows & 1 large side window including screed base over DPM & a dwarf cavity wall under an existing roof was £1500; all prices included fitting & because of the price breakdown, I knew exactly what the installation costs were. The company I used wasn’t the cheapest of my quotes but they could do all of the work I wanted, including a large conservatory; what was interesting was that once they knew the score, just how close the top 4 quotes were! All were fitted just over 2 years ago & included making good externally, FENSA registration & a 10 year independent insurance backed warranty; absolutely no problems at all since.

Thanks for you advices all!

btw.. i phoned my local BC office, and they said £80 to inspect windows. This can be 1 window, or the whole house - still the same price. Also they will return as many times as necessary, still same price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back