Building control refusing to sign off structural work due to electrical work being done.

You can, and that work isn't notifiable in England.
However you can also DIY work which is notifiable.
The difference is whether it's notifiable or not. Doesn't matter who actually does the work - only that notifiable work is notified.
It's very common for plenty of non-notifiable work to be included with things that are notifiable. The project as a whole is notified, not individual parts of it.

That is intended for experienced persons who can do everything in accordance with building regulations - as in they already know what they are doing, and they can provide the appropriate documents for the various elements of the work.

The problem you have is the scope - BC have evidently decided that the ceiling removal and the electrical is now part of the works as a whole, and therefore want the appropriate certificate for the electrical work that was done.
Given that wall removal always results in substantial associated works, it's not surprising that they consider the two rooms and whatever is in them as part of the work.

You have two options:
1 - provide the appropriate electrical certificate they requested
2 - argue that it's not needed, find they won't change their opinion, and then discover they now want further items you didn't consider, such as full calculations for heat loss as you decided to

which is altering a thermal element of the structure.

Understood. A builder actually did the structural work. I just decided afterwards to make the other changes. I would’ve made them regardless of whether the wall came down or not.
I’ve made the decision to argue it with them, if they become more difficult because of that then it’s on my head.

I’ll report back with my findings.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying they are going to be vindictive if he questions them?
Not it just means they will inspect thoroughly than the half hearted inspection they've done so far. It's the old story of covering their backs if their decision is challenged.

The same as any legal process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back