Building Control Regs. Please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got a roofer and to come and evaluate the cause of some damp coming through either the pointing/flashings on an exposed bit of roof between mine and my neighbour's Victorian terraced house - my neighbour's being a foot lower than mine in the terrace. I also called a painter colleague of his as the house needs to be painted on its front elevation. The roofer has since told me that he will not do the work (and nor will the painter) as he says that the chimney is "Cracked". I have paid for scaffolding to be erected and now the scaffolder (a friend of the painter) says that it will not be taken down unilt I pay (no problem there as I will). The painter has told me that if I take the scaffolding down it will need to go up again for "the Council inspection" and later "it is now out of my hands and with Building Control."
Can someone tell me
1) If the council would have been told by law of the alleged crack by the roofer (he has yet to provide photographic evidence of this crack).
2) Who are Building Control and what powers do they have? Will they call me to arrange an inspection?
3) Am I being conned?

Sponsored Links
Building control have no remit for this type of work, and can't (by law) get involved

Sponsored Links
1) If the council would have been told by law of the alleged crack by the roofer (he has yet to provide photographic evidence of this crack).
Total rubbish.

2) Who are Building Control and what powers do they have? Will they call me to arrange an inspection?
“The Department of Building Control is responsible for ensuring that building work meets the standards of the Building Regulations”.

Unless you have infringed Building Regulations in some way (which you havn’t) they will not call you & will not get involved unless you’ve paid a fee for notifyable work (which it isn’t) to be inspected.

3) Am I being conned?
Very much so I’m afraid by a scumbag trio working a nice little scam :evil:

Edit; I see from your other post that you do have a crack in your chimney so at least they arn't making that up! May not be as bad as I first thought but be very carefull before handing over your cash :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back