Scaffolding ruining view

Thanks for all for replying. To be honest I had resigned myself to fact that it would be staying. The council tend to be judge, jury and executioner.
I will get it painted Green and hopefully that will reduce its impact.
(y)

Sponsored Links
Whilst there have been a lot of "come on, get real" comments, there is an argument for the council to do things properly, rather than a cheap bodge job. It's more than likely designed to keep people out, but I suspect if you posted a closer picture, it'd show that it's more decorative than actually functional.

It could be argued that the council have been honest in saying that no work to the sewage plant was intended, and a "safety fence" doesn't break this original statement.

As the council are normally judge, jury and executioner, I suspect you're knocking your head against a brick wall, but if the council know that they'll have a long battle on their hands, they may decide to errect a more sensible fence the height of the hedge instead.

Since the erection was probably a result of some desk bound eurocratin sat in an office in Brussels spouting Heath and Safety Uber Allies stick a European Flag on the scaffold. ( make sure the stars can be removed one at a time as the European Onion reduces people to tears )

There's a lot if railway work near me and they keep applying for planning to make changes to their temporary yard so you'd think tall scaffold would be the same, especially if they've admitted it's permanent. How high off the surrounding ground level is it?

Sponsored Links
There's a lot if railway work near me and they keep applying for planning to make changes to their temporary yard so you'd think tall scaffold would be the same, especially if they've admitted it's permanent. How high off the surrounding ground level is it?
Apparently permanent scaffold does need planning permission, but that can be circumvented by a letter of easement from the council so a few emails around the office would mean that matter is settled.

Despite being "the council" the various departments still have to abide by the various regulations that they each enforce.

Its scaffold tubes, but its not scaffolding. Its a protection system (guarding), and I can't see, but I assume there is a platform of some sorts and steps too - which certainly would need planning permission for being a platform.

As guarding, there must have been some sort of risk assessment done. That might not be any business of anyone except the owner, and the workers who will be using it. But even so, if it is scaffolding, then it will need to be checked daily/weekly and every time it is used. I would also expect that it can't be there for ever if a risk assessment has identified a need for guarding - it must be made permanent and be purpose designed. They may be bending some H&S at work regulations in this, so perhaps you could imply that you will get external agencies involved as you are concerned for user's safety - or kids who may play on it as it may all come loose.

The upshot is that for a permanent system then planning permission would be needed, and as part of that process you can comment on the view and get something more acceptable installed. That's probably the best outcome you can expect.

I would tend to agree with the OP that is an eyesore and on top of that, I doubt scaffolding is the best nor safest solution for permanent guarding.
Any chance of a picture over the hedge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back