Building & fire regs on RSJs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping you could provide some general advice regarding a general building reg enquiry.

We had an RSJ installed as a result of an extension, and building regs were required (signed off by local Council) ensuring that the plasterboards meet fire regs (i.e. double boarded).

However, a year later the extension resulted in some movement and poor lead flashing, allowed water to seeped between the RSJ and plasterboard. It is clearly evident that the water has gone along the RSJ, as there is significant staining.
We have contacted our original builders to address this and the have corrected the movement issue - but they say that they do not need to re-do the plaster. However, my concern is that given water was soaked through the two sheets of plasterboard - does this require to be redone/replastered and require another building/fire inspection/sign off?

Sponsored Links
Has it stained the boards or warped them? I'd give it a few weeks to dry out completely, if it looks a bit shabby prob worth using something like this if it is stained http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/z/ZINCU/ might need a slim coat anyway. As long as its not warped it should retain its characteristics and won't need BI sign off again. You're now just repairing a damaged element. Probably better off re-posting in the Plastering and Rendering or Building forums. The mods would move it if they'd take they were awake! :rolleyes: :p

Is the staining along the edge of the (corners) of the rsj? If so it may be that galvanised beads were used on the edges when skimmed.The rsj should have been already painted (red oxide) to stop the rsj from rusting in cases like this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back