Building insulated wall parallel to party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Following on from a previous post regarding sound proofing...

Currently live in a house with adjoining stair wells on the party wall. i'm thinking about doing a bit remodelling, is it possible to build a new sound insulated wall along the entire party wall, I would consider repositioning the stairs in order to insulate behind. I have some room to play with.

Appreciate this would be quite disruptive and pricey, however i was thinking about doing this when i remodel/extend the downstairs.

Has anyone had experience of soundproofing using this sort of method? How effective is it - I want to reduce stamping feet and slamming doors mainly (plus shouting!).

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
No matter what you add to the wall it will lessen the sound transfer to a degree.

But, (and this is a big but) you may be very disappointed with the results. Adding mass to the wall i.e. double lined plasterboards etc, will go a long way but sound, particularly low frequency stuff has a habit of travelling through anything, except 3" thick lead!

There are methods and systems available to combat sound transfer but some are more successful than others.

Hi

Do a www search for 'Phonewell Sound Insulation' then select soundproofing walls and take a look at option 3: Decoupled batten wall sound proofing.

This will at least steer you in the right direction.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back