Building near a well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie poster here!

We're going to be doing a remodel and renovation of a property we've moved into, and a single storey extension is going to be within a metre of an existing well. The well has a diameter of circa 1m and is 5m deep.

The builder is advising that if any foundation work is within 5m of a well it has to be supported by several boreholes around it to support? Which he said can get pricey.

Is this the only way? As I've seen in some other posts on here that a well can potentially be filled and/or bridged when actually building over them. As we're not building over it I hoped filling may just be possible?

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...regs-plans-due-to-a-water-well-discov.317345/

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
if the well is empty and not fed by anything, then filling it up is the cheapest option.

your well is only about 4 cubic metres

Thanks Notch, and that is all okay in terms of building regs? Just wondered why he wouldn't have suggested that as the easiest fix.

Thanks Notch, and that is all okay in terms of building regs? Just wondered why he wouldn't have suggested that as the easiest fix.

Ive filled in a well 16m deep and had it approved by the building inspector.
The well was dry.

I think your builder is talking about a situation where a well still fills up -in which case filling the well will mean a build up of water pressure potentially causing heave, Im only guessing, but that seems a reason for boreholes..

Sponsored Links
I'll have to get the well pumped to find out then I guess.

Thank you, very much appreciated

seems a shame to fill it! can you not encorperate it into your extension and seal with a glass lid and light it up?

Plan of property/grounds would help give a better insight to what your situation is.

The builder apparently thinks a borehole in some way "supports" a well -
"a well has to be supported by several boreholes around it to support?"

What do the boreholes do - relieve water pressure from a blocked-up well and gush water like when drilling for oil?

seems a shame to fill it! can you not encorperate it into your extension and seal with a glass lid and light it up?

Plan of property/grounds would help give a better insight to what your situation is.

Sorry I don't have access to a scanner right now so have taken a photo on my phone. I measured off the original house plan which showed the well so it's in the right position. It will be pretty much touching the orangery so is even closer than I thought!

Attachments

• IMG_8401.jpg
    IMG_8401.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 353
One for a structural engineer perhaps, or a redesign of the external corner of the orangery.

Hi, thanks for the reply, there was a retired structural engineer on site and he didn't contradict the builder. Based on the link at the top though I just hoped there may be another way as understand boreholes can be quite pricey.

The water in the well could be a heat source for a heat pump system,

Provided the walls of the well are sound then it will have no significant affect on foundation close to it,

A house near here has a 10 metre deep well under the dining room floor. The owners do not know for sure but suspect the room was built after the well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back