Building next to railway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

If I put a garden building next to a railway and it's taller than 2.5m (and less than 2m from the boundary), how likely is that to get planning permission? Is that something the railway routinely refuses or am I in with a shout? I'm assuming the council would normally contact them for a response, but I've no idea how this works, there is very little info on the internet about this.

I'm not planning on going much above 2.5m maybe about 3m but I wanted a tiled roof.

thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the railway would be concerned about a finished building
However I remember a "grand designs" where they built right up next to a railway and the build was the concern. They had to ensure that nothing could possibly interfere with the railway and show a plan

If it is on your land adjoining owners can only object, the planning authority will make the decision. Impossible to say without knowing all the details.

IIRC, there are separate rules for building close to railways, which are unrelated to planning regulations

Sponsored Links
Yes, of course, Network Rail should be contacted , by the planning applicant I think . There should also be something in the deeds of the house regarding the land being near a railway line.

IIRC, there are separate rules for building close to railways,

There often are, the railway companies were in many cases granted rights of free access across land they did not own. These rights persist even though the original companies have been absorbed into Network Rail.

I've contacted them, they aim to respond in 21 days, so I'll let you know what they say, thanks.

Or terminate early.
But those are operator terms.
Network Rail will have a signal failure and divert the answer into a siding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back