Building notice and plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spoke to my local authority about loft conversion within PD rights, they state you need to submit building notice and full plans and you start work after 6 weeks, is this right??

I though you submit plans and notice and commence work within a few days.

Sponsored Links
As it is PD you can do what you like. However, the safest thing to do is wait for the LDC to be issued and that may take 6 weeks.
(It is simply your risk if the plans are deemed to be outside of PD)

Spoke to my local authority about loft conversion within PD rights, they state you need to submit building notice and full plans and you start work after 6 weeks, is this right??

I though you submit plans and notice and commence work within a few days.
You seem to be getting Planning and Building Control confused, they are completely different departments. Planning deals with the permission to build. Building Control controls the standards by which you build to but not the quality.

As it is PD you can forget about planning.

As for Building Control you can either do it purely on a 'Notice' which means not getting any drawings produced and the job can be commenced straight away, trouble is this is often a risky and sometimes expensive strategy to take unless the builder is au fait with all the regs and has your best interests at heart and in any case a structural engineer is likely to be required to provide some calcs/beams sizes etc anyway.

if you go the 'Full Plans' route this involves getting some drawings and the engineers calcs etc done and submitting them for approval. Then building Control approve the drawings and your builder knows exactly what to build, or he does if the drawings are any good. Even if you go the Full Plans route you can still start immediately though you obviously need to get the drawings done first.

Do a loft on a Notice at your peril .......

I have full plans with beam details and building regs, the way forward will be:

1) submit plans, pay fee to BC and start works under PD within 2 weeks.
2) Arrange inspections.

job done.

Sponsored Links
But as you say depends on your builders experience, I have done several lofts on building notices, but generally I would agree. It's not so much about the building notice route per se, but about both you and your builder having a spec that they are contracted to.

Hiya,

All started, beams are in and inspected, they deviate massiveley from my submitted plans with no calcs submitted but no issues from BCO.

Next inspection insulation and staircase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back