Building Notice or Full Plans Application?

Woody I guess if all you draw up is a box on the back of a house with some french doors your laughing, you leave the designer and complicated jobs to the rest of us.

Sponsored Links
But as mentioned, a price is agreed prior to a design, the reg's to satisfy that design should also be agreed prior IMO
Any designer worth instructing will only design something that has a high probability of getting planning permission. He will review the policies and any other restrictions and then base a design on the client’s requirements and those restrictions.

And further to that (and something many designers don's actually do) is that they should only design something that can be built in a technical context to meet building regulations. This means that they do some or most of the building regulation assessment at the same time as they do the planning drawings, and this way you don’t get situations with steel beams sticking out of roofs, or roofs higher (or ceilings lower) when insulation needs to be added.

So going back to the quote, the quote should be dead accurate for both planning and building regualtion drawings right from the start. They can quote you for both at the same time before they even lift a pen or click a mouse.

As for trusting the builders, that may be the case but builders will invariably do what is easiest for builders, and get whatever materials they can from their account at the local merchants. If you want a specific design, or use of a building, you can't really trust builders to do that. And they may not have the knowledge to challenge any building control inspector's opinion, and will just either do what they think or what the inspector thinks, and all that will be at the client's cost, and possibly at the client's detriment.

After speaking further with the AT, he has quoted me an appox. amount and said it would be an additional £XXX. This is what I was not prepared for as I thought it was included in the initial price. I understand why reg's are done after PP is granted as the design may need to be altered to satisfy planning requirement. But as mentioned, a price is agreed prior to a design, the reg's to satisfy that design should also be agreed prior IMO. Not approx. And should definitely be made clear at the initial consultation

I have also contacted a few other firms (rightly or wrongly) and they have told me they could do the work for a better price, and if I was to obtain the CAD drawings from my AT rather than PDF files some could do an even better price. Stick or Twist??? Maybe worth letting a new firm do their own measuring for added security if I was to go down that route???

Tell us what he charged for the Planning drawings and what his "approximate" quote for the Building Regs drawings was and there are people here who can confirm if it is reasonable.

My initial thoughts are that he is one of those AT's who can draw pretty CAD drawings but his construction knowledge is not so hot. I'm intrigued how he is going to overcome the lack of headroom at the top of the stairs. That's the sort of thing that separates the men from the boys.

Woody I guess if all you draw up is a box on the back of a house with some french doors your laughing, you leave the designer and complicated jobs to the rest of us.
Don't swerve the issue just because you are wrong. Answer the point.

And no I would not trust a designer who can't get his quote dead right nor design a simple low pitched tiled roof. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
£1000 plus vat for plans. (plus council fee for PP) This was sold to me at the time as everything needed to start building.
The when i have asked about working/reg's drawings as builders have asked about them, i was told it would be an additional £800 plus vat for this. (plus council fee)
Steel calc's still to be done by another firm. (quoted £400 cash sof far)

I have never done this before and should have shopped around in the first place, but you live and learn.

The firms i have spoken to since for reg's quotes are
1) £700 full measure up and produce regs - £400 if I can get AT cad drawings for them and produce reg's off them.
2) £900 full measure up and produce regs, including steel calcs.
3) Waiting to hear back from a third with price and options.

As per head room, this is how it will work:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/trying-to-finalise-plans-with-a-t.541034/#post-4575565

I have decided to go for the 1100mm opening.

Don't swerve the issue just because you are wrong. Answer the point.

And no I would not trust a designer who can't get his quote dead right nor design a simple low pitched tiled roof. :rolleyes:
I'm not swerving the issue you're doing your usual arguing the toss crap and every one knows it. If you don't know exactly what's gonna get approved you can't always get a quote for regs bang on so it can be fixed if you want but it's stll subject to change isn't it? I can't help it if I'd want to avoid penetrating the waterproofing layer on a roof, but then a good designer can avoid getting himself into such situations.

£1000 plus vat for plans. (plus council fee for PP) This was sold to me at the time as everything needed to start building.
The when i have asked about working/reg's drawings as builders have asked about them, i was told it would be an additional £800 plus vat for this. (plus council fee)
Steel calc's still to be done by another firm. (quoted £400 cash sof far).

£1000 for Planning and £800 for Building Regs is pretty good. It looks like a fairly complicated and fiddly job.

£1000 for Planning and £800 for Building Regs is pretty good. It looks like a fairly complicated and fiddly job.

Maybe not, but I'm quite tight and the companies I have spoken to since are more competitive. Plus I have had to work like mad to get this far and begrudge paying more to my AT.

If you don't know exactly what's gonna get approved you can't always get a quote for regs bang on so it can be fixed if you want but it's stll subject to change isn't it?
No that's nonsense.

You design something that in your professional opinion should be approved, and base your planning and building regulations drawings on that.

Also, if there is any doubt on whether a planning application will be approved any professional will know what changes may be required to make an application acceptable.

But the bottom line, if you don't know what design would most likely be approved, or if you can't quote fixed fees right at the start, then you either don't know your job or are just out to fleece clients.

What a load of crap, do you not understand the process as to how some jobs pan out? You get a potential client rings you up, he's not quite sure what he wants, you pop round and give him his free hour, he's been umming and arring for three years with his missus as to what they want and he gets out his portfolio of fag packet sketches, you're appointed on the basis you design something they like/can afford/will get planning, you draw up a few proposals (that's called feasibility), you grab the bits they like from one or two and end up with a design they'd never considered but ticks all the right boxes, there's no way of knowing exactly what you're gonna submit to planning at the beginning of a job sometimes so the regs fee can change. Brain surgery this is not. You're obviously one of those that shys away from these kinds of jobs because you can't draw up anything else other than a chocolate box with an inappropriately pitched roof that is completely uncontentious regards to planning.

I'm starting to remember why I stayed away from this site ..... jeez. There is no right or wrong answer here, you both have a valid point.
All because I said the original AT was a plonker. FFS just let it go! :sleep:

What a load of crap, do you not understand the process as to how some jobs pan out? You get a potential client rings you up, he's not quite sure what he wants, you pop round and give him his free hour, he's been umming and arring for three years with his missus as to what they want and he gets out his portfolio of fag packet sketches, you're appointed on the basis you design something they like/can afford/will get planning, you draw up a few proposals (that's called feasibility), you grab the bits they like from one or two and end up with a design they'd never considered but ticks all the right boxes, there's no way of knowing exactly what you're gonna submit to planning at the beginning of a job sometimes so the regs fee can change. Brain surgery this is not. You're obviously one of those that shys away from these kinds of jobs because you can't draw up anything else other than a chocolate box with an inappropriately pitched roof that is completely uncontentious regards to planning.
All that is complete nonsense.

You meet with clients and get their requirements and quote for it.
You don't charge extra for a bigger window, or a wall in a certain place or hip or gable roof, because you have included all that into the design and allowed for it.

You have been working working with proper Architects too long and started to try and be like one it seems, but getting all confused.

If you know your job you know how to price and quote. Otherwise you are really just winging it and getting the client to pay for your own inadequacies and ineptitude.

@^woody^ trying but failing to get everybody to listen to what he says, do everything he says and act upon everything he says but doesn’t like it when somebody tries to challenge him :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back