Extension: Initial Notice or Full Plans Application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A bit confused as I have now paid a warranty company for a 10yr structural warranty for the extension that will be started in the summer. As they also offered Building Regulation approval, I also instructed them to do the Building Control element through one of their Approved Inspectors.

Now having received the paperwork from the AI company, they make mention of 'Initial notification', nothing about full plans. My architect mentioned we would be going for a full plans application. I know the two are very different time-wise. Part of my build is a pre-fab construction which has a long lead time, so I'm reluctant to give the manufacturer the go-ahead on that until plans have been reviewed for Building control. If there is an issue with the pre-fab design, they'd need to know before manufacture, obviously.

My preference is to go for full plans application as it's a bit 'safer', but I realise can take 5-8wks for approval and that this is all done via the Local council, not an Approved Inspector Building Control service. Am I correct? Or is it possible to submit a full plans application to an AI?

Thanks!

OB

Sponsored Links
Approved Inspectors still have to send an initial notification to the council. It has nothing to do with with the full plan or building notice procedure.

Okay, thanks to you both. It sounds as though I am okay then if I wish to go with the full plans application with my chosen inspector or BCB rather than my local authority. Indeed, a lot of the info on the interweb is either out of date or only contains half of the info.

So the process for a full plans route is:

1) submit plans to private BCB
2) BCB sends initial notice to local authority
3) BCB reviews plans and sends back any queries to me (and I presume local authority may liaise with BCB on anything they see, if they even look at the plans)
4) BCB gives the go-ahead to proceed (hopefully within 5wks) and will undertake inspections during build*.
5) I receive a completion certificate within 8wks of completion.

* My main reason for going with a private BCB/inspector is for efficiency and better co-operation if there are issues to be ironed out. I hear that some councils aren't very....lets say "customer facing" :rolleyes:. In general therefore, I suspect many private BCBs would give the go ahead to proceed quicker than 5weeks?

Sponsored Links
Actually, I think you're supposed to both jointly inform the local authority, but the BCB should be able to advise.

There are good and bad local authorities and good and bad AIs, and good and bad individuals within those bodies. I use an AI for some jobs and a particular guy at one local authority who I've worked with for years. They have a partnering arrangement with other local authorities meaning I can use him for jobs outside his borough too.

The initial notification to the council is just an administrative thing, as the council holds the register of work done to properties. The council wont be involved with checking the plans or anything else.

Also don't think that a private inspector will be any better or give any more advice than a council inspector. It's all done on a commercial basis, so a quick check of the basics is all you can expect.

And don't be under the impression that any inspector will be checking anything other than fundamental compliance with [very basic] building regulations. They wont be checking every part of the work or any quality issues.

Your plan drawer should be your agent, and should be notified by the inspector with any queries, not you. And the plan drawer should be able to justify his design and argue on your behalf if the inspector wants any changes - not just doing what the inspector wants ... which could have cost implications.

If your plan drawer is any good, then you should be able to start 48 hours after submitting the application and not having to wait five or eight weeks for the plans to be checked.

Also don't think that a private inspector will be any better or give any more advice than a council inspector. It's all done on a commercial basis, so a quick check of the basics is all you can expect.

Local council is well known to be difficult and not very helpful if they see issues with some aspect ("no that can't be done - go away and sort it").

Hopefully private inspector is more helpful.

Plan drawer is my architect and I think any issues are included in his fixed cost ("submitting new/revised material in order to secure BR consent").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back