Planning permission is approved, confused on next steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my planning permission for two story side extension approved.

I am finding my self very confused now on what to do before the work can start.

I called my local council today and they advice me that there are two ways to go about it.

1. Building Notice - simpler and work can begin after 48 hours of application. Costs £676 in total.
2. Full building control application. Costs same as above but it needs prior approval.

They also checked on their system and confirmed that "There are no Severn Trent Sewers present on the property". Officer however did not mention anything about the required drawings for the application. other than supplying location plan.

My confusion is mainly around the involvement of civil engineer and structural drawings. I am getting various quotes for this (ranging from £500 to £1500) and I don't know what is needed as a minimum to get things going. My understanding is that having this drawings will help builder provide the quote? am I right?

Is building regs drawing necessary to make a start based on the option 1 above (Building notice) or can this be done while the foundation and other work is started. I believe the builder will mainly be interested in roofing materials, joist timber size and RSJ sizes/locations.

If anyone can make it clear on what the best approach is, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Always get plans drawn for building control and structural engineer calculations.
These are very detailed and give the builder a good understanding of what's required, so they can give you a quote.
You will also have a guide on what needs done, so the builders can't cut corners.

Ask whoever is doing your drawings as they'll be best placed to advise exactly what you need

It is a bit chicken and egg. If you go with a building notice, no plans needed, but what is the builder quoting and building against? It is possible to successfully use a building notice provided you have faith in the builder to get it right.

If you create plans by employing an architect/planner you can use these to get building control approval ahead of quotation and construction.

The alligator that can bite in the latter, and often does is that you create plans, get quotes, choose the cheapest, and then the builder goes off-piste and does what he thinks best. In worst case you can end up in a fight where BC won't sign off and you have to somehow chase the builder to prove he hasn't followed your plans.

There is another approach which is to ask builders for a "design and build" quotation where they both design to your brief and take responsibility for BC approval as your agent. However, be prepared to pay a higher price for this because you are passing design risk to the builder. However, for a householder who isn't particularly experienced in building it is quite a safe route provided the contract is understood and the builder clearly understands the design risk and obligation to get sign-off is his.

Ultimately, the essential factor is clarity. If the builder is building to your plans, make sure he understands he has to build exactly to your plans. If it is D&B make sure he understands that unless you change the brief, if he has missed something or under-priced he has to pick up the gap. If you do go D&B DO NOT unless unavoidable change the spec after work has started as it will become the peg on which loads of extras will be charged.

Sponsored Links
An outline of what is to be built would be useful. 4 x 6 square boxes are one thing, second storey and two storey extensions another.

One thing's for sure, if you go with five hundred quid for design, drawings and structeng, you will probably end up paying double the fifteen hundred quid later. And the chances of ending up with exactly what you want will be very slim.

Give us some context.

The extension downstair is going to extend kitchen and make an office space on the right side of existing dwelling.
Upstairs, there will be two additional bedrooms.

I agree about the benefits the structural drawings would bring.

I am very clear on what I would like the finished product to be and I have worked with the builder in past and he is somewhat reliable. Therefore, I am thinking to keep drawings and involvement to minimum but also not limit it to a point it doesn't yield much value. I am looking for that right balance hence posted a question here.

I have been quoted £1500 for the following items by a local company but it feels to be that this is overkill so maybe I can ask them to take some of the items for below and reduce the amount?
  1. Site Visit/inspection to pick 100% accurate date on site.
  2. Structural elements specification
  3. Structural layout drawings
  4. Structural Report to be accepted by Building Control to get SER certificate
  5. Working drawing for the contractor /builders
  6. Roof design ( Rafters, Joists, Skylight etc)
  7. Lintels for both Solid or cavity walls
  8. Wall Structural Stabilities to avoid cracks in the future in your house.
  9. Beams columns design
  10. Connections design
  11. Construction details
  12. Foundation
  13. Padstone,
  14. Other structural construction details needed for the project

Whatever you do, don't let the builder use a private building control officer.
Tell them that unless they use the council BC, they won't get the job.
Imo, get the plans done and go for building notice.
They'll come back pretty quickly with any reccomendation/conditions.
In the mean time your builder can start digging and organizing the ground work.

The extension downstair is going to extend kitchen and make an office space on the right side of existing dwelling.
Upstairs, there will be two additional bedrooms.

I agree about the benefits the structural drawings would bring.

I am very clear on what I would like the finished product to be and I have worked with the builder in past and he is somewhat reliable. Therefore, I am thinking to keep drawings and involvement to minimum but also not limit it to a point it doesn't yield much value. I am looking for that right balance hence posted a question here.

I have been quoted £1500 for the following items by a local company but it feels to be that this is overkill so maybe I can ask them to take some of the items for below and reduce the amount?
  9. Beams columns design
  10. Connections design
  11. Construction details
  12. Foundation
  13. Padstone,
That's a very fair quote.
Go for it.

I agree, £1500 is very reasonable for a two storey extension and will give you some certainty. All that's missing is the thermal specification. Bear in mind that thermal regulations changed recently and many builders are not up to speed yet.

PS. you don't want to find out things aren't right when walls are up to plate.

Y agree. Just make sure that you both understand who ultimately has design responsibility

I agree, £1500 is very reasonable for a two storey extension and will give you some certainty. All that's missing is the thermal specification. Bear in mind that thermal regulations changed recently and many builders are not up to speed yet.

PS. you don't want to find out things aren't right when walls are up to plate.
Don't they usually specify that in the plans?
I've always seen them on every plan.

Don't they usually specify that in the plans?
I've always seen them on every plan.
Yes but so are roof design, lintels, construction details, foundation, etc. And thermal design may need more than drawings; u-value calculations, condensation analysis etc.

9. Beams columns design
  10. Connections design
  11. Construction details
  12. Foundation
  13. Padstone,
That's only the structural stuff from the SE presumably, there's a load of stuff missing to make up a full plans submission or reasonable set of drawings to use to get quotes and that can be used as a basis of a contract. I'd say that was a bit expensive anyway just for SE fees, IME. That said the OP hasn't bothered to let us know exactly what he's building.

That's only the structural stuff from the SE presumably, there's a load of stuff missing to make up a full plans submission or reasonable set of drawings to use to get quotes and that can be used as a basis of a contract. I'd say that was a bit expensive anyway just for SE fees, IME. That said the OP hasn't bothered to let us know exactly what he's building.
He's building a 2 storey side extension.
Pretty standard around here.
In fact, the architect I used was recycling same plans and adapting them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back