Building on more than 50% land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I live in a Victorian end of terrace house that has previously had the kitchen extended and a small conservatory/lean to in the side return.

I’m wanting to get this extended to make it level with the end of the kitchen
Now under PD and neighbour consultation I believe I can build the side return up to 6m as long as the neighbours agree. However because of these previous extensions and a garage I will be building on over 50%

Does this mean I will need full planning permission and how likely is it that I would get it.

I’ve attached some photos/plans to help guide.
1444E42D-01AE-4B4D-A85D-0416A238B5E4.png

EA4E0001-4D12-4E4C-9D7F-77A61533E369.png

AAE0EDEC-2677-4602-9627-BE51A2ECF729.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If you build to line up with the kitchen extension, it will need planning permission.

Also, the 6m neighbour consultation scheme would not apply here; why? because you would be joining up to an existing extension and the whole lot (ie proposed extension plus existing extension) would be regarded as one extension under the planning rules. The rules then go on to state that the n.c. scheme is not retrospective and as part of the enlargement already exists, this would debar it from the scheme.

The most you could do under p.d. with that layout is a 3m extension along the side, as long as 3m did not bring it into contact with the existing extension.
Sorry, but them's the rules.:cry:

Last edited:
Thank you for that, makes sense, better get the plans sorted for full PP then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back