Building out coving to cover tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a variety of circumstances when tiling the bathroom I have been left with about a 3" cut to finish at the ceiling. As this will look sh*t I have decided to fit coving, suitably built out so the top full tile will slip underneath and therefore not lose the bottom edge of the coving.
The tiles are 7mm thick plus something for the adhesive. What thicknes of plasterboard can I get to build the coving off the wall?
Any advise on what adhesive to use or avoid?
Unless I can get to Travis Perkins during the day supply will have to be Homebase, Wickes or B&Q.
Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Why not just tile up to the ceiling anyway, then fit the coving straight over the tiles? Seems the obvious way to get an accurate thickness match, and your tile cuts won't have to be that tidy.

Why not just tile up to the ceiling anyway, then fit the coving straight over the tiles? Seems the obvious way to get an accurate thickness match, and your tile cuts won't have to be that tidy.

Don't know why not other than some years ago a very very good plasterer told me that was the way to do it if you wanted to keep the bottom edge of the coving visible.

Sponsored Links
Don't know why not other than some years ago a very very good plasterer told me that was the way to do it if you wanted to keep the bottom edge of the coving visible.
I don't really follow that. The way I see it is you're only going to lose the profile of the coving by tiling up to it after fitting. I'm sure dabbing a bit of board on will work fine though.

In reply to the two previous posts:

I don't want to lose the bottom profile of the coving which is what would happen if I fitted the coving and tiled up to it. So I want to build the coving out so the top tile will slip underneath it.

Will the adhesive stick to a glazed ceramic tile? Thats what I don't know so prefer to play safe and build the coving out by screwing a strip of plasterboard to the wall at the appropriate height and sticking the coving to that.

You can also use tile adhesive to stick the coving up....

One additional advantage of coving is the ability to hide wires underneath it. I wanted to run new wiring around my bathroom (lights above the vanity unit and an extractor fan). The room above is a bedroom with a laminated floor - big job lifting that. I did contemplate running the wires by cutting slots in the plasterboard of the bathroom roof (where it meets the joists) and threading the wires around the bathroom roof to where I wanted them. But that would leave a plastering job to be done on what is a perfectly good bathroom roof. I knew I was going to be putting up coving as part of the renovations - so it was a small leap to realise I could pin the wires around the the roof/wall join and the the coving would hide them. With the wires at the point above where I need them, I then cut a channel down the partition wall to get the wires to the required hieght on the wall. Tiling the walls will hide the channels and the coving will hide the wires running around the wall/roof join. If only all new wiring jobs were this easy :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back