Building Regs Certification - Suspended floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to put in some insulation under our suspended floor, following this design - https://www.ecologicalbuildingsyste...pproach-to-Insulating-Suspended-Timber-Floors - but probably with sheeps wool rather than jute.

I have stuggled to find someone to do the work, but it it looks pretty straight forward and within my ability so have decided to carry out the work myself.

I was wondering about building regs certification for this sort of work as I remember that this is the sort of thing people want to see when a house is bought and sold - as well as the confidence that you have met or exceeded a standard (plus not done anything that could damage the fabric of the building!)

I spoke to my building control office here in Croydon and they said it would require permission and I should apply online, and then they would provide advice... has anyone else had any experience with similar sort of work and know what the certitification process entails end-to-end?

Cheers

TB

Sponsored Links
So I started to fill out the form for the first room and they want a £180 fee... does this sound normal? The cost of the work is going to be about £300... If I carry out the work room by room how I want to it will cost £540 in council fees...

If I were you I'd just putting some insulation in and not worry about informing the local council.

Sponsored Links
So I started to fill out the form for the first room and they want a £180 fee... does this sound normal? The cost of the work is going to be about £300... If I carry out the work room by room how I want to it will cost £540 in council fees...
It seems absurd, but I suspect some of it is the need for building control to pop round and make sure there's sufficient under floor ventilation. Plus you're not just paying for the time of the BC person to do the inspection, you're paying for all the time they've invested in getting the skills and knowledge to be able to do the inspection as well

I'd guess that your BC would let you treat it as one job done in three stages, so only one fee.

I spoke to Building control again and they said that I can sort of pre-apply by emailing them an outline of the job with anticipated u-values etc. I am hoping it may be not too difficult to treat it as a single job over a few months

I spoke to Building control again and they said that I can sort of pre-apply by emailing them an outline of the job with anticipated u-values etc. I am hoping it may be not too difficult to treat it as a single job over a few months
It should be fine, my local BC did four/five visits in the end for removal of a chimeny and re-roof over four months. I believe it's common for them to have jobs that run for months to years.

My local BC do say on their website that they charge an additional fee if you don't have a visit or some contact every 6 months, presumably as they need to familiarise themselves again. But that's different.

I installed Knauf 200mm insulation under my ground floor a couple of months ago. I used plastic netting to hold the insulation in place.

Wasn’t a fun job but believe it to be worthwhile. I am surprised BC would need to be notified but I wouldn’t declare it on an EPC anyway. More bothered about reducing my heating bills.

I really wouldn’t bother with getting permission for this.

I also wouldn’t bother applying to Blndg Control , it’ll be noted on your EPC if you ever come to sell the Property , it’s often an advisor of how to upgrade your rating if you have Timber sub floors

Phil

Just take loads of pictures for any future reference
That's what I would suggest. I'm thinking about doing my own and using some stapled breathable roof membrane to support the inso'. I shall probably foil tape the joints too. No way will I inform BC for this though especially when they only ask for photos regards say an insulated sloping roof (vaulted) detail.

No one's going to pay more for your house if you insulated the floors, so I'd just not let on. The cost of the regs cert wouldletyou declare it, but if you want to add value to your house because you're selling imminently, it's cheaper thto painte bathroom and probably adds more value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back