Building regs for non habitable detached outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey detached outbuilding that has been used for years (100+) as a workshop and storage space. I want to make it more comfortable to use as office and storage and was wondering if I needed building regs. I have been told by a local builder that as essentially it will still be a work room and because it is detached from the house and I am not planning to live in it then I wont need building regs. That said, I will still be doing the work to building regs standard except for in a couple of areas which, should I need building regs will cause a lot of expense and headache to do. One being the fact that the room currently has a large single glazed window which I don't really want to change for a upvc d/glazed one and also the entrance door opens at ground level. Which will be a problem if I need to insulate the concrete floor immediatly behing the door as there is not space to do it. I am however going to insulate the rest of the floor with Jablite but just leave a square at ground level behind the door with a step up onto the insulated part. I am already halfway through fitting the ceiling which I have done to building regs ,just in case.
Any thoughts? Remember the room has always been, and will still be, a work room and will not be lived in and is detatched.

Sponsored Links
Building regs are not required for work to existing garden outbuildings.

(This assumes you are not intending installing any fixed heating.)

Any new electrical work must comply with Part P regardless; although any new windows/doors you fit don’t have to comply with BR’s as far as insulation goes, they must be safety glass if their location requires. You can heat it but, as John says, be careful about fixed systems; these must be capable of being independently controlled & isolated (from the main dwelling system) or you will loose temporary building status & then have to comply with BR's. I believe an “office” would also be regarded as a habitable room, even if your not living in the building so be careful what you call it. ;)

Doing “substantial renovation work” even on an outbuilding can land you in trouble if you have nosey bloody neighbours! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I should be alright then. I suppose I'll just always term it as a workshop and storage area :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back