Help with building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently building an extension at home and have finished one section ie garage with bedroom above. The next bit was going to be conservatory but building regs said no because it didn't have enough glazing to the side walls. This now becomes an extension and not a conservatory which makes it fall into different regs.
I did the regs myself in 2004 and started 2005 before a reg changes. If I put my amended plans back into BC do they have to conform to new regs or as when I started.
Obviously I want to avoid Part L if I can so It is easier.
If not, how easy is it to show conformity?
I am building a two storey extension which has a open mezzanine floor and glazed gable end with patio doors and glass panels above.
For Part P do I just say that a certified electrician is doing the work to regs?
We are also having a spiral stair, do I just state that it wil conform to a specific British Standard and leave it as that?
I am just trying to avoid some rediculous expence estimated to me by an architect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Guy

Sponsored Links
Had the plans already done.
But the architect wanted £800 +vat for the regs on top of £500 for the regs plans and structural calcs.
So I figured that I must be able to sit on the computer for a day on the approved regs site and find out everthing I need????

If you got Bldg Regs approval in 2004, but now you want to revise the plans submitted- i think u should be ok as u have a 3yr window to begin works??? (i'm not defo on that but a quick call to BC should confirm either way).

If not, u show conformity by specification - eg, improved insulation materials meeting u-values etc.

In terms of Part P + stairs, u need to specify BS no's + dim / describe everything. It's not easy + might take you a few days of research.

The big advantage (IF your not in a hurry) is, if the info is incomplete or incorrect BC are always more than willing to help u thru it.

Sponsored Links
Just had a chat with BCO and he was very helpful.
Said I would need a new application and would tell me everything that he needs to know once I send him the drawings.
The insulation/heat loss/glazing will be the hardest to work out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back