Building regs for Replacement Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the help I got on the last question, I have another...

I have a Victorian Terrace & assume that sometime in the 1970's, someone removed the old Victorian front window & lintel & replaced it with a bungalow style window.

There is no longer a lintel above the window. Does anyone know if I need planning permission to change the window & surrounding ricks back to original or is it covered under building regs?

Also, in the rear of the property, I have aluminium double glazed windows, one of which is full of condensation & thus you can't see through it. Does anyone know if these are reparable & is it a big job? (or should I spend the cash & get some UPV)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
jimmyboy said:
Does anyone know if I need planning permission to change the window & surrounding ricks back to original or is it covered under building regs?
If you're having it done then the window company already applies on your behalf, if you're fitting it yourself you will need building control permission ( to do with heat loss etc )
Also, in the rear of the property, I have aluminium double glazed windows, one of which is full of condensation & thus you can't see through it. Does anyone know if these are reparable & is it a big job? (or should I spend the cash & get some UPV)?
Cheaper to replace the glass unit.

Just adding to that. If you get a firm to replace your windows, they have to be either FENSA registered, or get building regs approval from your local authority.

You can replace them yourself but the local authority have to give approval and will want to know that your replacement window/s comply to the new regs (as masona said) and check the manner in which you intend to fix the frame, and with what.

This applies to all windows fitted/replaced after April 2002.
The main difference with a double glazed unit is that the 'gap' has to be 20mm. Most reputable firms will now provide to the new spec without mentioning it.

Make sure that you can demonstrate that you have either approval or evidence of FENSA registration in writing as this will be most important if and when you come to sell.

Anton said:
Make sure that you can demonstrate that you have either approval or evidence of FENSA registration in writing as this will be most important if and when you come to sell.

The problem here is that getting a window replaced is becoming more and more expensive, with FENSA, K pilkington glass and even poss building regs. I don't want to be sounding really anti-establishment but how does a solicitor and or a surveyor know when the window was replaced, if so then the last 4 houses i've sold should all have retrospective building regs, (did i say that) :rolleyes: which you can't just easily obtain.

The fensa registration is stopping competent Diyers and builders doing it themselves, window companies are monopolising on this fact. If you know what you are doing and want to fit a window and have the appropriate K glass then go ahead and do it.... Basically window companies shouldn't have it both ways. If it needs regulating then regulate it properly and don't sell windows to the joe Public, sell them to fensa registered double glazers and firms only, and let the user then go to the firms for the best deal.

Sponsored Links
If you really wanted to know the date of the window, they are stamped inside the double glazing unit spacer bar but doesn't mean when the window was fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back