Building regs questions RE: 30m2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been to look at a MASSIVE garden building that a client has built.
He says it is under permitted development because the 4 different sections of the building are under the 30m2 rule (and far enough off the boundary etc).
The only thing that links them all is the pitched roof and concrete base.

Firstly... is it 30m2 as a total you are allowed under permitted development or 30m2 per building? I can't find a definitive answer.
He has acres of garden, so he is no-where near the 50% rule.

Secondly, surely the minute he 'linked' those buildings together with a roof they became one?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Yes I t would agree that if linked under one roof it would be classed as one building. Why does it matter though?

Sponsored Links
Well I have been out to look at this disaster of a building in a private garden.
They have built a massive timber building that is starting to collapse under its own weight (bad design and heavy roof tiles).

Its basically four 28m2 buildings, linked by one roof on a common concrete slab.
They want to put a boiler in there, full electrics etc. No sleeping accom, so I think it misses planning due to that.

But.. she reckons it doesn't need building regs due to the fact that its within permitted building allowance.

She must be assuming that each 28m2 building is under the permitted 30m2 max and therefore complies.

So... she needs building regs (and my God will it fail that)

If it is genuinely 'starting to collapse’ then one could be forgiven for contacting the appropriate people ….

Structure (or lack of a proper one) is one of the few items that BC will take action against.

Some people need to be saved from themselves.

Well I have propped the ridge with acro-props for now.
They have built a huge timber structure with a vaulted ceiling.
No joists, no tension ties.... pretty much nothing stopping the walls spreading.
Then piled a ton of concrete tiles onto it. Some walls are 8" outward leaning at the top.

Bloody cowboys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back