building regs re: downstairs wc and kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was always under the impression that a toilet door could not open into a kitchen and you would need some sort of lobby area and two doors dividing the two rooms.

After googling this it seems not to be the case and I could have a toliet door opening into the kitchen as long as the toilet had a basin and ventilation.

Is this a correct understanding and do various councils interpret it differently? I'll ring Sheffield building control tomorrow to confirm but I need to get the plans drawn up today so would like some guidance if possible.

Cheers John

Sponsored Links
It is correct as far as I know. There was once a reg about toilet and kitchen with a lobby, as you say, but i think it was abolished. My neighbours still have a downstairs bathroom, off the kitchen, but the toilet is in a seperate little room in the kitchen, because this is how the house was built in the 40's/50's.

REgulations regarding wc's and kitchens changed and only one door is required.

Sponsored Links
cheers for confirming that. I'll ring BC to make double sure in case different councils have a different take (apparently sheffield don't approve some insulation that most other councils do)

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back