Building regs re: Siting of a WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago, I remember there was a building regulation that prevented having a WC entrance directly into a habitable room (kitchen, lounge etc.). So I had to have the WC opening into a ventilated hallway. Can someone please tell me what the current restrictions are, as I think they have changed.

Sponsored Links
If you contact your local Building Control Office they will be happy to advise you on the current regulations.

An en-suit has only one door between bedroom and Toilet/Bath Room.

I don't have the latest details now,the building reg required 2 door from the toilet room leading into the kitchen as it to do with hygiene with food.

masona. Just clipped from current regs.

Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities
G1. - (1) Adequate sanitary conveniences shall be provided in rooms provided for that purpose, or in bathrooms. Any such room or bathroom shall be separated from places where food is prepared.

Sponsored Links
I asked an almost identical question recently and as it turns out you only need one door between a kitchen and toilet now.

See this

And it points you at the relevant documents.

Sounds like, they got round it providing you fit door closer.

If you don't want to fit the bulky door closer type,you can fit an internal door closer which goes inside of the door or fit a rising butt hinges.

Do you now have to have a washbasin in a WC? If so that'd explain a relaxation of the regs??? Just a guess :idea:

Peebs said:
Do you now have to have a washbasin in a WC? If so that'd explain a relaxation of the regs??? Just a guess :idea:
Whether it's the regs or not, I would strongly advise to have a wash basin to prevent spreading germs causes by people not washing their hands,see this.
Went to Wetherspoon pub for a meal last night and saw the chef in the toilet who didn't wash his hands and went back to carry on cooking in the kitchen !!!! Also don't eat them peanuts in the bowl for everyone to share, they are full of urine ! Sadly over 70% of people do not wash their after the toilet and I was one of them, but since I now wash my hands regularly during the day, I haven't been off-sick since 1991,whether it's to do with keeping hands cleans I don't know.
Latest news,they are now talking about banning hot hand dryer blower as it blow the bacteria around the room.

I work for the local authority building regs.

In a domestic property, only one door is required between a toilet and kitchen providing that there is a wash basin in the bathroom.

If you are doing alteration work to your property, I strongly advise you contact your local authority to check that what you are proposing to do does not require Building Regs.

If you do building works without getting the authority involved, you'll have big problems in the future when you try to sell your property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back