Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am having an internal, load bearing wall knocked down tomorrow, but no building regs will be obtained for the work.

I am now concerned of the implications of this and was looking for confirmation that it is legally OK after 4 years, if the council doesn't find out about it?

Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can get regs done on a 'Notice'. Phone them up, fill in a form online and email it to them, application done! They'll pop out in the next few days to inspect works.

I am now concerned of the implications of this

Well... apply for a BN now, pay the minimum fee, submit a detail/calculation to the LA, have them agree it, install the beams (and padstones) and job done. Or... don't submit a BN now but get picked up on it after, BC will ask you to submit a Regularisation Certificate, which incurs a higher fee than a BN and will involve you having to expose the beam/padstones for BC to check/approve.

Thanks,

But, if I don't get picked up on this for four year, am I correct in assuming that this will be exempt for building regs?

Thanks,

But, if I don't get picked up on this for four year, am I correct in assuming that this will be exempt for building regs?

What if you come to sell your house ? for the sake off £120 it may save you loads of grief later on when the buyers surveyor picks it up.
Also you will know its been done correctly, if you have any future problems with the works carried out you will more than likely find your buildings insurance will be void.

Chaps,

The bottom line is, I cannot move into property with family till this is done.

If I need to jump through council hoop the builder I have will be on another job whivh will massively delay everything.

I really just need to understand the implications.

The lack of specific responses to your specific query is probably down to the fact that the next owner will likely be picking up the grief not yourself which doesn't seem very pleasant. In any case the link in this thread will tell you all you need to know.

Thanks,

No - it's four years for planning permission, which isn't an issue here. If you don't get building regulations approval the council have 12 months within which to take enforcement action, from when the work is completed. They could still take action after that, but would have to do it via a court.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back