Building shelves in chimney breast (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have a chimney breast which is in rear reception. It doesn't go all the way up. It's just in this room. Any suggestions how we go about making shelving and a tunnel through wiring for a wall mounted tv. See picture below to see it from above where I have removed floor board

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,005
Sponsored Links
If it's just in the one room (with no chimney breast above it), you're better off removing the whole thing and constructing the shelving out of wooden joists.

Otherwise, you will need to support the bricks above the 'shelf' and then install some sort of lintel above every gap that you put into the brickwork.

In can't be removed . It supports beams , I got some strcutural calls done and it would need a 4.8m 8x4 steel. Heavy. Not prepared to do this

What exactly do you mean by shelving? In the old fireplace below the wall-mounted TV?
To tunnel through you can just drill through into the flue.

Sponsored Links
I want a wall mounted tv, with the wiring running through the flu and AV box eg sky on a opening below which is below.

In addition if i was to create a opening lower than the current concrete lintal, would i need to install another lintal? ors is the best way just to stud it?

In addition if i was to create a opening lower than the current concrete lintal, would i need to install another lintal? ors is the best way just to stud it?
So you want to put the shelves inside the old fire opening? Sound easy enough. What is troubling you?
No you would not need another lintel, just stud and cover with a bit of plywood or plasterboard. It's purely cosmetic.

Well I thought given the opening would be a few bricks below the lintal I would need to install another lintal as the wall between lintal and new opening needs support.

So do I open it ALL below lintal and stud it? Or just open the area I require

I would open it all. Let the dog see the rabbit, then cover over the unwanted bit.
However, if it's a huge opening then you could fit a second lintel if you prefer. A wooden one would do since it's only supporting a handful of bricks.

If you're looking to remove pieces of the chimney and there is a chimney stack above it, you need to use a lintel or a gallow bracket set up to support the stack above. If there was a fireplace above the chimney breast that you're working on, there may still be a concreted area in front of the chimney stack as well - If the chimney breast above has been taken out, this should also be removed.

If the chimney breast above the one that you're working on has already been correctly removed, I'd advise taking it all out and constructing a new shelving area. That way you can make it the specific sizes that you need/want.

In can't be removed . It supports beams , I got some strcutural calls done and it would need a 4.8m 8x4 steel. Heavy. Not prepared to do this

I'd revisit the above, you don't always have to use steels to extend floor joists, you can use joist hangers etc to extend. It really depends on the current setup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back