Building simple art drawing board, unsure of part

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I've started a small project to make a little portable wooden multi-angle-adjustable drawing board. I know there are many simple ways to implement the angle-adjustable part, but I wanted to go that extra mile for convenience and have something similar to the lift-support mechanisms commonly found in larger drafting tables, where lifting the drawing area locks the board into different angles, and a slight lift allows for closing back down.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the part I'm looking for! I've seen parts close to what I'm looking for, named in the following ways:

Ratchet Folding Bracket
Lift-up Ratchet Table Support
Ratchet Support
Ratcheted Lid Stay
Multi-Angle Lid Stay
Adjustable Lid Support

Unfortunately, most of these are more heavy duty and for much larger tables than what I need. I only need something big enough for a small board that could support a regular 8x11 sketchbook. Does anyone know what I should be looking for, or where I might find it? I've put in all kinds of combinations of the above names searching for solutions on Google without any luck. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
From in the UK? (where this website is based).

The primary thrust of my question is whether or not there's a specific name for the part I seek. It should be like a ratchet folding bracket on drafting tables but for much smaller, less heavy duty applications. I would greatly appreciate if anyone who knew the name could share it (if it even exists), or kindly direct me to online vendors where I may find it.

Sponsored Links
There is a specific name for most things , but UK and US terminology varies greatly.
A 'chip butty' in the UK would possibly be describe as a 'Fries biscuit' in the US.
With neither population familiar with the others description.

You are looking for a 'ratchetting support frame' but I haven't a clue where you would get a spare....maybe best to buy a new drawing board and cannibalise that. Our common suppliers are British Thornton and Hellermans.
(Rave from the past, these things.....I remember mine was just about permanently attached to me, together with a slide rule :p )
John :)

I've never seen them for sale as a separate item as far as I can remember. I've made a couple of similar mechanisms out of wood over the years. One for an "Architect's Table" which is a table with a tilting top for drawing etc, and one for a large reading rest. They were made by cutting simple ratchets into wood, and making up a hinged frame under the "lid" for the support, with the horns of the frame cut off at an angle to engage in the ratchet. They both worked automatically on raising the lid, but obviously needed holding to lower it. You can leave part of the ratchet bar untoothed to allow the bar to slide back the last bit when you let it go.

PS: The second time I've heard or seen slide rules mentioned in the last few days. Still got mine. We used to draw at tech with nasty old non adjustable tables, and (equally nasty) tee squares.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back