Building to your boundary. Access issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if builders can build a wall from the inside?

I'm looking at my options to add rooms to my semi and one option would be a two storey extension the side. The problem is the available width at the side is 2.2m from exterior wall to my boundary. The house currently has a lean to running along the side and so does my neighbours, they have about a 6" gap between them. Would a builder be able to work around not having scaffolding on the outside and work inside? What about the roof?

I was thinking about having a chat with my neighbour and see if he would be happy to "share" the wall instead. I think this would be in conjunction with the shared party wall act. If he disagrees can it be worked around?

Sponsored Links
It is possible to build overhand, but builders hate building this way, 'cause it is pants. The pointing will look like a pig's ear and the finished brickwork will look crap and be vulnerable.

You will definitely need a scaffold for the roof in any case so get the scaffold sorted from the off.

If your neighbour refuses permission i suggest you move.

If access is a problem, or scaffold is required on neighbouring land, then serve a notice under the Party Wall Act, and you will get access and scaffold rights

Just further to Woody's comments, you will need to consider the Party Wall Etc Act when building adjacent to your neighbours house, specifically with relation to adjacent excavations as your new foundations will be within the prescribed distance. To make sure you're on the right side of the law speak to an experienced party wall surveyor, but bear in mind you will have to pick up all the costs.

The other comments are correct, it can be built from one side, but pointing and mortar coursing aren't as easy to do properly. It's be best to sort out the Party Wall act stuff properly now rather than potentially having to revisit the job in future if it goes awry.

Sponsored Links
The other comments are correct, it can be built from one side, but pointing and mortar coursing aren't as easy to do properly.

Thanks for the conformation we all feel better now. :rolleyes:

P.s. the roof can only be built from one side only, i.e. the neighbours side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back