building trade & shutdowns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there's been confusion all week about what to do ref the corona virus and the Building Trades.
the Govt's giving out different stories, workers and small firms are also confused.

Workers doing service work are now advised (is it an advice?) not to enter peoples homes.
But service workers are often the very people needed for gas leaks, water leaks, WC & sink etc blockages.
There's just no way that such serious stuff can be ignored - thats if they can get workers to now go into homes and do this work.

We have subbies & i think they should be paid up while or if they are laid off.
Likewise we have a few casual labourers who should be looked after too.
Sometimes groups were taken to sites in company vehicles - thats now stopped.

the way things have gone this week i can see all construction stopping not least because suppliers of this and that are closing, so i believe.
If pro trade Building and Plumbing suppliers close then what for smaller firms?

If the worse comes then my view is that they all cannot be allowed to shut up shop, some must remain open to the trades for essential work materials.
Bosses must sit down with all workers and be up front transparent about what they intend to do.

Sponsored Links
Am I being cynical or what but? I think central government wanted something to tick over, so why not let "big" outdoor sites remain open? trouble is that as far as a high level overview from an Ivory tower looks appealing from said tower, unfortunately, given few if any of the denizens occupying the "Tower" had a scubby about how Sites operate.

There was a secondary issue, the self employed, if central government could keep all large especially the very large "open air" sites open then thousands of the self employed would still being making money, and not making a noise.

As for "Domestic" emergency repairs??? tradesmen possibly do not want to go, Homeowners do not want them in their property, result a relatively simple fix turns into a serious issue.

The supply chain, a complex issue, manufacturers closing down, production, OK they will have stock piles, but not very much a component in store costs money hence the so called last possible moment for delivery [and not paid for by end user immediately prior to incorporation into finished product] as prevalent in the car industry.

Distributors either closing down or changing the way they operate.

Next, what is an "ESSENTIAL" activity? fixing someones bog? i wonder if the Ivory tower residents considered that?

Ken

Asda is open to sell essentails.
YEt it seems that this also includes George clothing, home stuff (bedding/electricals/entertainment) with 200 customers in the store at a time.

Prediction?? within the next few days, stores such as Asda, and even M+S will be forced to restrict entry to a certain number of people with guide lines on the floor at the checkouts at 2.m. distances. just as all Chemists have done nation wide.

Sponsored Links
As one of the CIS large site bods these days I can tell you that the CIS subbies and PAYE guys alike are unhappy about the continuation of work, especially those who travel to and from work on public transport. Add to that the amount of hassle we are getting from coppers who can't seem to understand that we've been told we have to continue working (by the government) and I can see the next 12 to 16 weeks being real fun. Never mind the bosses being transparent, what about the Government being honest with us?

BTW, as to the suppliers shutting down, I do know that our trade suppliers have been instructed to reopen and recommence deliveries at once, and I'm told that Screwfix and Toolstation have been instructed to do likewise. We got our first delivery of timber in a week on Friday last

My merchants had just closed down . Not sure if it's genuinely for the protection of their staff and clients , or simply a commercial decision due to a drop off in businesses and the temptation of the 80% furlough.

Well, were still working, as are at least a dozen other sites in the vicinity (city centre), although activity is very low due to some trades being pulled off by their contractors and some guys self-isolatng. Our firm managed to get a load of materials in last week, but we are only permitted to carry out structural work, not finishing. I know several other sites with the same sort of rules. Looks likely that if we shut down it will be a minimum of 3 weeks lay off, but not sure if that is on instructions from the government, HSE or council.

Our local BM is still going, albeit to a select few account holders and not to the public. Delivery or C&C only. No one is allowed inside the branch.
All my next customers (I'm just finishing off an extension presently- skirts, archies, doors) are lined up ready and waiting.

Sponsored Links
Back