Built in appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Do I need to have seperate points of isolation for built in fridges, etc. i.e a socket below with a seperate switch above ?
Or can it just be on an unswitched socket (below).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the socket is readily accesible with the appliance in place then no isolator is required, if not then it is, and it's best to have anyway.

Great, thanks.

Trying to get a list together of stuff needed for kitchen rewire.

Sponsored Links
Hi bud you'll get a lot of the get a sparky nonsense here, but truth is if you can find a good one which is rare and funny considering its only domestic electrics then do that. Annyhoots my take is this

1. I do not like sockets under counters - kids hands, liquids, ie knock over the pop and spray everywhere, oils etc. but many love that.

2. I do not like fused spur outlets as some fitters will not remove the appliance due to part p fears etc and you have to cut the plug off the appliance. But I will do this before putting sockets in which get items stacked around them, becasue if you put it behind the appliance it can be murder to get the gear in, not always but often.

I prefer fcu to click connectors and put the click connector directly behind the appliance from the fused spur above the counter. Hobs, ovens different ball game as you probably already know thats ccu to cooker outlet.

I'm no spark by the way ;)

That seems like madness to me. I'm not sure how the kids hands or the bottle of pop are going to get to the socket when it's behind a washing machine?

Nope your right if its behind the appliance then great. But more often than not they fall into cupboards, and if its an ikea kitchen even more fun as the units go back the full 600mm. Plus some integrated stuff is getting pretty deep too. But nope behind is fine but I'm not talking about behind, and chances are they'll end up in a unit no matter what you do becasue people sell, they change kitchens etc. Just my view that's all :D

Also it can be a real pain for things like extractor fans in bulkheads, anything happen to the fuse and you're stripping the bulk head, depending on where the socket has been placed. We've had it happen a few times on large stores.

unswitched socket behind the appliance, below the worktop, where it is out of the way but can easily be reached when the appliance has to come out to be mended or thrown on the skip. Switch above the worktop where it can easily be reached.

Some people say having a fused plug behind the appliance is inconvenient. In my experience appliance fuses fail approximately once ever six hundred years, and when they do the appliance probably needs to come out to be mended or thrown on the skip anyway.

IMGP3597.jpg

:D

you'll need long arms to turn the power off when a hose bursts.

There's a grid switch of isolators above the worktop for your scenario. ;)

Here you are:

1. Get an electrician.
  2. Do what he says.

Well I am an Engineer (Electronics/Radio) !!! So I would say I am electrically competent. Probably more so than YOU to be honest.

I am also 17ed and 2391 trained. But NEVER do any household stuff.

So I just thought I would ask. But you always get the primadonnas on these sites. LOL.

But thanks to EVERYONE else for your invaluable help. Most appreciated.

BAN ALL SHEDS - LOL. Thanks buddy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back