Built in Oven creating condensation inside kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a built in electric fan oven and it gets used a lot (daily).
My problem is that when in use (Especially when cooking over longer times -e.g. roasts, casseroles, cakes etc.) condensation builds up inside the kitchen units next to the oven. -To the point of making flour, spices, cutlery etc. damp (In some cases wet!!! :( .

The wall behind the oven is an outside double (cavity) wall (E.g. red brick on inside and sandstone on the outside.)
There is no cavity wall insulation, and no other insulation on bricks either.

I wonder if it is possible to make a hole through outside wall, and placing a vent of some sort to allow damp/heat to vent outside, rather than into the units...?
But which kind of vent?
Any suggestions or alternative ideas VERY much welcome.
Thanks
Tina

Sponsored Links
Is this a built in OR built under.
Either way it should be vented from below up the base & out at the top, like a chimney.
Was it installed as manufactures instructions with this vent?
I am guessing you have a built under, not vented at the top & the steam is going round the side.

Usually built in fan ovens have a cooling fan which vents the appliance sounds like yours needs looking at !!!!!

When youve used the oven and then switch it off you should hear a fan running for several minutes. If you dont hear this I think it broken.......its a gueasss without the make and model !

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for the posts.
Yep! It's a "Built under".. And it has been installed with all the correct measurements around it to allow venting.
It does have a cooling-fan which continues after the oven has been turned off (or at least it makes a kind of venting noise -although the big fan in the back of the oven only rotates when the oven is on), but I guess this is not enough for the usage..

Our outside walls are very cold (as not insulated at all) so I think it could be that the hot air vented from the back(?) of the oven meets the cold air behind it (from the wall) and this creates the condensation?

The oven is a Zanussi ZBQ 465

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back