Installing Ovens In An Island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We are considering installing a built-in oven and microwave comination oven (both Bosch & both electric) into an existing island.

HME9751GB - www.garlandelectronics.com/index.html?target=p_1175.html&lang=en-us
HBN131550B - www.garlandelectronics.com/index.html?target=p_1055.html&lang=en-us

The island was not designed to take ovens, but is sturdy and a perfect fit (i.e. contains two 600mm cubed cavities side-by-side). It is actually an IKEA Varde sink unit and very similar to the IKEA Varde oven unit.

There is a 6 ring gas hob on top of the island, which is fed by a flexible gas pipe, running along the inside of the island against the back wall. This flexi-pipe starts outside the unit. The back wall of the unit is just a tacked on piece of hardboard, so easily removable for access. The rest of the unit is wood/chipboard.

What I need to know is am I being completely mad here. My three concerns are:

i) Are there any ventilation / heat build-up issues?

ii) Will I blow myself up if I install an oven into an island which contains a gas pipe.

iii) Am I missing something painfully obvious

Help!

PS - Obviously, I'm not fitting this myself, but before I instruct a more competent DIYer, I need to know that I'm not asking them to do something really silly

Sponsored Links
Yes I did say that the island was not 'designed' to take ovens; that's the whole point of the question. Had the island been designed to take ovens, I wouldn't have any concerns about whether I was doing the right thing or not.

My laundry rack wasn't designed to hang saucepans from, but actually does a fine job of it and the spare Beech Block Kitchen Worksurface I bought wasn't designed to fit under the stairs to create a rather natty computer work-station but, in reality, looks fantastic.

In the same way, I was wondering whether I could use an IKEA sink unit for something other than it's intended purpose. After all, a standard oven housing unit is just a box made out of chipboard; there ain't nuffink special about that.

Ho Hum. Maybe I have posted in the wrong forum. I will keep on trying other sources.

Thanks.

N...

Sponsored Links
It is very commpn to install ovens under hobs, I can't see what difference it makes between an island or along a wall. I am assuming that the island is fixed, not on wheels/easily moved.

i) I some built in ovens require a small vent area in the plinth under the appliance. Check the installation instructions for the hob it will state if you need clearance underneath but it usually only requires this if you have a draw underneath that could contain say table linen.

ii) The hob should be plumbed in copper not flexi hose, get it changed by a qualified person (CORGI)so thereis no risk that the pipe will melt from the heat but best to make sure it's not too close to the oven.

iii) don't forget you may need non standard doors to make up the spaces as doth units are not standard 720 carcase height.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back