Electric built in oven not screwing into recess properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.
I'm new here and this is my first post.

Yesterday I had a new electric oven installed. I understand they are a universal size and it fitted into the recess quite nicely. The installers tested all the electrics and hard wired the electric oven in, putting a new fuse socket into the wall as well.

The only slight issue is that the oven was a tiny bit narrower than the recess, so when they went to screw the oven in (at the front by the oven door) the screws have caught the edge of the inside of the MDF recess panels, and nor embedded properly, so if I try to pull the oven out it comes out quite easily.

Behind the oven are gas pipes feeding the pre-existing gas hob, which was not touched, so I dont really want any movement if anyone is a bit heavy handed with opening or closing the oven door, as the back of the oven is no doubt very close to the pipe.

The electric oven is a NEFF, which has a slanted section at the back top, which is specificially good to fit in these circumstances under gas hobs.

It was Curry's KNOWHOW team that installed it - should I contact them to come and rectify it or just try and put some bigger screws and angle them in - so hopefully they will embed into a more central bit of the thickness of the side of the MDF recess panel ?

The only other issue is the front of the oven is proud by about 5mm - I'm not bothered about this and it doesn't notice, but obviously from the side with the door open you can see about 5mm of the screw.

Thanks in advance for any opinion

Steve

Sponsored Links
I would not expect it to be much of a job to rectify.

If the oven can tilt forward & maybe fall out, (is this what you are saying?

I would call 'knowHow' & ask them to get there 'bodgers' back.

No, I'm not worried about the fridge falling out, as it's about 6" off ground level - I was concerned about it moving forwards and or backwards as it's not secured into the recess properly by screws, and damaging the copper gas pipe at the back. attached is a pic of the area before the oven was put in.

I put my phone under the recess and filmed it, but it seems I cant upload video to this site. I took a few screenshots. It's a bit difficult to see

I uploaded the video.

Any advise/options would be very welcome as I'm quite concerned about the proximity of the pipe to the back of the oven

https://vid.me/slFA

Sponsored Links
Screw a block of wood to the wall, just more than the gas pipe protrudes.

When you push the oven in, is it touching the gas pipe

Is the gas pipe preventing the oven from going all the way in?

Yes, I think they've pushed it as far as they can without disturbing the gas pipe. I'm getting a gas safe engineer to re-route the pipe higher up to avoid the back of the oven , so the oven can be pushed flush into the recess cupboard properly without disturbing the gas pipe. Hopefully this can be done before the isolation valve so as to completely avoid the area (ie in the picture I posted to the far right of the pipe it would go directly vertical instead of horizontal - thus avoiding the back of the oven) as I mentioned at the back top of the oven there is a good size recess to accomodate gas pipes poking out as it's a NEFF oven - and I've been told NEFFS and Bosch's are best for this

Moving the pipe does seem the easiest option, especially as there's that cable running horizontal (in the white plastic casing) attached to the wall (that goes on to a socket in which the fridge is plugged into)

Thanks for the advice guys

I'm going to take pictures of how the oven was left not screwed in properly to the cupboard recess, then get it sorted by a gas safe professional, then take the issue up with Curry's KNOWHOW team - they shouldn't have left it like that

I was thinking of something like this to re-run the route of the gas pipe.
On the video clip the back sides of the oven seem to taper in a bit, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get away with running the pipe vertically up the side. If it misses the back hopefully the fact that it goes over the boxed-in cable (as opposed to going flush to the wall) will be good enough.

Best thing is probably wait for the gas safe fella to come round, pull the fridge out and let him measure up and do as he sees fit???

You should contact 'KnowHow' before you do anything, as they have the attitude of get a report or they will send someone to do it.
There is a free number (well from inclusive mobile minutes). cant remember what it was but I was on to them for a long time, I also emailed them @ [email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back