Built in Storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so be kind! I've search the site and found a few posts about built in storage & wardrobes but can't quite get all the info I'm after.

In one bedroom I have a slopping roof and I'd like to utilise the space by building some wardrobe & storage units across the length of the room. Here are some pics:

View media item 32238
View media item 32239
I have made a rough design (not totally accurate scale)

View media item 32237
I'm thinking I need to build a timber frame of some sort and then use 18mm MDF or MFC for uprights, shelves, floor and doors (with beading). Join together with MDF screws but not sure what to use to support the shelves.

My DIY skills are ok but this is a totally new area for me, so any help or advise would be great!

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'd build it a sa series of boxes and just use kitchen type hinges to hang the doors from the boxes.

Fixed shelves can just be screwed from the outside of the boxed, adjustables can be done by drilling a series of 5mm holes and using shelf studs.

Have a look at this and the next half dozen photos

J

Thanks for the advise and pics, that looks fab! Just what I'm after. Just a couple of questions.

On picture 37 whats that showing? Is it 2 bits of MDF with something in the between them?

Also on picture 38, what sort of wood are you using to frame?

Thanks again.

37 shows the two MFC(melamine faced chipboard) carcase sides with a strip of 6mm MDF between that protrudes about 6mm beyond the carcase. To the left is astrip of MDF with a 6mm groove cut down the middle that when turned over will fit the strip of MDF sticking out.

38 The faceframe is MR MDF (Moisture Resisting MDF), this has a green coloured core or is green all the way through. Not only is this MDF more stable it gives a much less "fluffy" edge when cut so paints up a lot better. Doors are made from the same stuff, 22mm styles & rails, 9mm panels

Jason

Sponsored Links
If using mdf then no need for a frame as such, you could even build individual units and then screw them together once in place [like a bespoke built kitchen].

Great info, thank you so much. One last quick question before i head to b&q! How do you join the angled top of the box to the back? Is there a quick way i cant think of or do i have to cut the edges so they meet flush?

Thanks again. andy

ake a look at pic 36, you can just see a 200mm wide vertical board running along the top/back of the carcases. This helps hold the carcases square and also gives you something to screw the backing to. The top of this board is cut to 45deg so it fits up against the sloping top board.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back