Bulb failures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two wall lights and the bulb in one of them keeps blowing. They last only about two days. The fitting in question is close to an alcove, which has halogens operated off a transformer which is on the same circuit. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
what sort of bulbs does it take? What brand are the bulbs you are fitting?

Does the transformer have a large VA rating? you may have to fit a suppressor circuit to it.

The bulbs are Sylvania GLS bulbs and the transformer is a 60 VA model with cos phi of .85. It is a Phillips unit and I assume it is supressed already.

Sponsored Links
damia-b said:
The bulbs are Sylvania GLS bulbs and the transformer is a 60 VA model with cos phi of .85. It is a Phillips unit and I assume it is supressed already.
you shouldn't assume, best to check with manufacturing data sheets.

damia-b said:
The bulbs are Sylvania GLS bulbs and the transformer is a 60 VA

How can they be GLS lamps if there is a TX supplying them?

LAGLS15BC.JPG

This is a GLS lamp

RF Lighting said:
damia-b said:

Refer to original post, the lamps that are fed from TX are halogens.

tim west said:
RF Lighting said:
damia-b said:

Yes I know, but when asked what sort of lamps they were the OP said slyvania GLS lamps.

RF Lighting said:
tim west said:
RF Lighting said:
damia-b said:

Yes I know, but when asked what sort of lamps they were the OP said slyvania GLS lamps.
I think he was replying to two posts one asking what the rating of the TX was and the other asking what type lamps were being fitted (not to the TX)

OK to clarify, the bulbs that keep failing are GLS Sylvania brand (well the last two were, the first was a Woolies bulb that had been in for abouit a week.)

The alcove is lit by two 20W halogens fed by the transformer unit.

I am reluctant to keep putting fresh bulbs in to find they last only a day, but I suppose I could have a batch that has been dropped in the shop. I can think of no reason why a lamp fitting could cause bulbs to blow, so thought it may have something to do with the transformer, which is fed from the same switch with about 2 metres of 1.5 mil flat twin and earth.

damia-b said:
OK to clarify, the bulbs that keep failing are GLS Sylvania brand (well the last two were, the first was a Woolies bulb that had been in for abouit a week.)

The alcove is lit by two 20W halogens fed by the transformer unit.

I am reluctant to keep putting fresh bulbs in to find they last only a day, but I suppose I could have a batch that has been dropped in the shop. I can think of no reason why a lamp fitting could cause bulbs to blow, so thought it may have something to do with the transformer, which is fed from the same switch with about 2 metres of 1.5 mil flat twin and earth.
If you don't want the bother of fitting a suppresion circuit then try putting a 2 gang switch in place with transformer on one and the GLS lamps on the other, that way if switching off the transformer is causing a voltage spike it won't find a path through the other switchline to the GLS lamps.

Thanks Tim, I already have a two gang switch. I will try to persuade my wife to switch off the alcove before turning on the wall lights. By the way all failures have occurred on switch-on as far as I know. One was quite noisy!

damia-b said:
Thanks Tim, I already have a two gang switch. I will try to persuade my wife to switch off the alcove before turning on the wall lights. By the way all failures have occurred on switch-on as far as I know. One was quite noisy!
It would have been more a problem had the Transformer and lights been on the same switchline which it now sounds that they are not but try as you sayit may help, if not you will have to seriously look at suppression.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back